AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Did JKR show favouritism in her writing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: James Potter Reply with quote

To me James was always showed to be the rebellious team even after growing up .... And gotten married.
Sidetrack: it has always bothered me that everyone who has a child is married to the person who they had to child too. There seam to be no splitting up or one night stands, while there do seam to be single parents this is because someone ran off. But the parent is still single even after 11-17 years.
As for the history of the potters yes we know they are an old wizarding family but why does that automatically mean they have a lot of gold sat in the bank? I am from an old British family with links to the queen but I don't have any money.
As for James and Sirius when we see them on the train to Hogwarts they seam to know each other quite well as if they had been brought up together. However I don't understand how this could have happened as I am quite sure the Blacks would not have approved of the Potter family at all. As we see James is conditioned to want to go into Griffindor. It seams a lot more likely that Sirius and Snape would have been brought up together due to their parents having the same views.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: James, the Favored Son Reply with quote

We don't have canon that the Potters were considered "blood traitors" before James, either, though. Maybe that was just another type of rebellion for him. Though I've never had any head canon that James' parents were horrible snobs, like the Blacks or the Malfoys or Walpurga's birth family (sorry, don't recall her maiden name at the mo')

I don't have any problem with the WW families being more traditional nuclear families than modern British ones, or even 70's British ones. They seem more traditional in lots of ways. I can't imagine, though, why widowed wizards like Xenophilius Lovegood or witches like Dean Thomas's mum never remarried.

I can't see Sirius and Severus being raised together, though. Sirius parents were Nature's Nobility, and Severus had a muggle dad. Walpurga would not have gone for Sirius consorting with Severus even if they had lived near eachother, which they apparently didn't.
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Asteria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: James Potter Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
As for the history of the potters yes we know they are an old wizarding family but why does that automatically mean they have a lot of gold sat in the bank? I am from an old British family with links to the queen but I don't have any money.

That the Potters were rich is canon. Remember when Harry gets to his family's Gringotts vault and sees piles and piles of gold and stuff.

I couldn't tell you an exact quote, or even where it is mentioned, but when talking about the Potters, it is implied that they were very rich. At least it's the impression I get. Maybe not as wealthy as the Malfoys, and there is no ancestral home or manor mentioned, but there is definitely all that gold in the vault.
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Potter Wealth Reply with quote

I have actually heard it speculated that the reason the Potters were wealthy was that, as the descendants of the Peverelle with the Invisibility Cloak, they used the cloak for dishonest gains.

Of course, this was the theory of someone who loves Snape so much that she has to find every way possible to make J.Potter look evil.

In the Gaunts, we have a pureblood family who once were enormously wealthy, but foolish with their money and grasping with their pure bloodlines. Perhaps the Potters are meant to be a contrast to the Gaunts as well? We don't get much to work with but we can speculate that the Potters were, for generations, more wise and responsible with their wealth.

We also have the Malfoys, of course, who were every bit as bigoted and mean-spirited as the Gaunts, but still rich after many generations. I think it shows that there is a diversity of characterization in HP; that JKR never meant to make all the rich people good, or all the rich people bad, or all the poor people good or bad. Same with the good-looking people: you have the handsome but selfish Gilderoy, and the handsome and wicked Malfoys, and the ugly but evil Gaunts. You also have the rich, handsome, good guy Sirius Black, and the poor but definitely good Weasleys. I'm trying to think of someone who is ugly but good but drawing a blank. Anyone?
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Potter characters Reply with quote

Ugly but good the only person I can think of is the woman from the cackling stump.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Potter characters Reply with quote

Ugly but good? What about the guy from the Leaky Cauldron? He was pretty ugly in the movies but can't remember how he was described in the books as it has been years since I read them... super grin
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Potter characters Reply with quote

Do you mean Tom? He is described as old with a long nose I think.

Proud to be a
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Potter characters Reply with quote

No I actually meant his offsider who was portrayed as a hunchback in the movies but seemed to have a heart of gold - I don't think he was called Tom though.. was he?
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Potter characters Reply with quote

The guy with the hunchback in the movies I thought was meant to be Tom. As Harry is talking to the (then) minister and in the books it is Tom who brings in the crumpets, however I can't currently watch my DVDs of it so not sure that it is Tom.

Proud to be a
Asteria

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Potter Wealth Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:
I have actually heard it speculated that the reason the Potters were wealthy was that, as the descendants of the Peverelle with the Invisibility Cloak, they used the cloak for dishonest gains.

That's the sickest theory I've come across. one

Of course I know the Snapefen hate James and the Marauders with a passion, but that's going too far. I'm a Slytherin and I have a certain sympathy, or shall we say compassion for Snape - his life was really pathetic, and his death one of the saddest - though I do not deny he wasn't a very good person. But I like James too. Theorizing that the Potters used the Cloak for ill-gotten gains is just vile. very upset

But we've wandered very far from the subject of this thread, which is favoritism in JKR's writing. I'm surprised a Mod, especially Fleur, hasn't split the thread yet. bleh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: