AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Wizards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Dissenting voice - I didn't like it Reply with quote

I just found a lot of the writing very clunky and a lot of the description unnecessary. It's one of my biggest pet peeves in books - having to wade through adjectives. There were far too many characters and the book was far too long as well. I just wanted to shake about 200 pages out of it!

My general thoughts:

I didn't really like it. As well as the fact it was just a difficult read because of the above problems, I just didn't care for the plot. I know a lot of people who have finished the book have said "oh well it wasn't really my kind of book anyway" because it's so different to Potter, but the fact is I read a lot of adult contemporary and character driven novels, so when I read the description I thought it was exactly the kind of book I'd enjoy.

The first 100 or so pages weren't grabbing my attention at all but as soon as we hit Krystal's chapters I heaved a sigh of relief. I actually found her character interesting, and there was so much potential there. I thought the ending was gripping and effective, but by that point I'd been driven mad by all the other boring, pointless characters that it couldn't quite redeem the book as a whole for me. I think if this book had been purely about Krystal it really could have been something special. It was just trying to do too much. It did bother me a bit when the descriptions of Krystal veered off into a political rant, but I can appreciate there's an angle surrounding her situation and I think in general I was quite pleased with how JKR tackled the more adult themes surrounding Krystal's life. I thought Suhkvinder as a character had a lot of potential too. I liked her storyline.

The swearing and other things didn't really bother me. I thought she actually had modern British teenagers down pretty well. The only problem I had whilst reading was trying to disconnect this JKR from Potter JKR. Sometimes reading some of the more adult scenes, I couldn't shake the feeling it was like your mum talking about those things

I think once I'd digested everything I just came to the conclusion that JKR's adult writing style isn't quite for me. I'd be a lot more reluctant to buy an adult book written by her in future. I'd probably wait until I could read a sample or get a feel for what the book would be like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: