AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy Reply with quote

Rowling's new book a 'blackly comic' tale for adults

Author JK Rowling's new book is aimed at a grown-up audience. It may lack wizards and witches, but JK Rowling and her publisher are hoping her first novel for adults, The Casual Vacancy, will have the magic touch.

The book's title has been announced by Little, Brown & Co along with a brief plot synopsis and publication date.

The publisher said the "blackly comic" tale of rivalry and duplicity in a small English town would be available worldwide on September 27.

The book will be Rowling's first post-Potter effort. Her seven-volume saga about the adventures of a boy wizard became one of the most successful fictional series in history and led to a series of extremely popular films.

The new book, aimed at a grown-up audience, will be set in a seemingly idyllic English town called Pagford which is described as far more menacing than its pretty facade would indicate.

It opens with the sudden death of a popular man whose unexpected demise shocks the town. The battle for his seat on the local council sets off "the biggest war the town has yet seen," with rich people fighting poor, parents battling their teenagers, and wives in conflict with their husbands.

The publisher said the 480-page novel will be sold as an e-book and audio download as well as in traditional hardback form.

The seven Harry Potter novels have sold 450 million copies and have been translated into 74 languages.

Rowling's final Potter offering, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was published in 2007. She published a short Potter spin-off collection of stories, The Tales Of Beedle The Bard, in 2008.

Rowling said earlier this year she wanted to reach an adult audience, but kept the book's name and publication date secret until yesterday.

In the past, many successful children's writers have struggled to remake themselves as adult authors. Winnie the Pooh creator AA Milne, a successful playwright in his early years, once confessed that he was forced to say "goodbye to all that" after his beloved books about the bear and friends.

But Rowling has one advantage: the Potter books had a huge adult, as well as child, audience.

Jon Howells of British book store chain Waterstones said The Casual Vacancy would likely be the year's best-selling novel.

He said the synopsis came as a surprise and suggested similarities to the work of popular mystery writer Alexander McCall Smith and Mark Haddon, a children's writer who had a huge adult hit with The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

"We were all expecting some sort of crime or mystery novel, but she has, refreshingly, surprised us all," Howells said.

"The plot sounds like it will have hints of Mark Haddon and McCall Smith, and the promise of black comedy is very beguiling."

AP

I like McCall Smiths books so I am looking forward to reading this book.
Antep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: JK Rowling's new book... Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:

Certainly sounds worth at least a look. Though I'm a bit wary. So many successful writers just crash and burn when they try their hand at writing something different from what made their success, or go outside their usual purview. PD James and her Pemberley novel is a case in point.

Inkling7, please be sure to post your review after you've read this book. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: JK Rowling's new book... Reply with quote

Antep wrote:
inkling7 wrote:

Certainly sounds worth at least a look. Though I'm a bit wary. So many successful writers just crash and burn when they try their hand at writing something different from what made their success, or go outside their usual purview. PD James and her Pemberley novel is a case in point.

Inkling7, please be sure to post your review after you've read this book. Very Happy

I agree. Agreement

I'll give it a try, but it may turn out to be one of those books I started to read but never finished. But I'm keeping an open mind.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: My take Reply with quote

OK people I bought the book on my iPad and read it while I was in Ecuador.

I don't think you would like it but I quite enjoyed it because the story and characters remind me of people and places I have worked with and in here in Inner City Sydney while working for the Australian Government and with people on Social Security Benefits and those Yuppies etc who live alongside those in Govt housing in their renovated terrace houses etc.

The ending was rather sad and depressing but I could picture all her characters very clearly.

The book was a social statement as well as a story I found.

However judging by the books a lot of you seem to read and are fans of on this site I doubt whether many if any of you would like it even though I did. super grin
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: The Casual Vacancy Reply with quote

Thanks for your review and comments, Inkling7.

I looked up the book's description on Amazon, this is the official spiel on it:

Quote:
When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

I haven't read it, so no comment from me, apart from the remark about it being JKR's "first novel for adults". The last few Harry Potter books can hardly be deemed kids lit, IMO. Confused
Annamite_en_France

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Who knows? Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
However judging by the books a lot of you seem to read and are fans of on this site I doubt whether many if any of you would like it even though I did. super grin

We're a group with very eclectic tastes. Who knows, some of us may like it. Don't write us off so easily! super grin

Actually this got me curious, maybe I'll give it a whirl.
Antep

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: I read it too Reply with quote

There isn't really any resolution, to be honest. It kind of just felt like things happened. And I'm very surprised that we did not get any resolution to the conflict over the borders and the drug clinic. Krystal and Robbie's deaths were poetic, but they kind of just happened and we just briefly got a snapshot of what effect they had, and that was the end.

I think my overall view is that it just was too long for little pay off. Yes, there were some interesting situations and some interesting characters, but it just felt very anti-climatic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I read it too Reply with quote

Antep wrote:
There isn't really any resolution, to be honest. It kind of just felt like things happened. And I'm very surprised that we did not get any resolution to the conflict over the borders and the drug clinic. Krystal and Robbie's deaths were poetic, but they kind of just happened and we just briefly got a snapshot of what effect they had, and that was the end.

I think my overall view is that it just was too long for little pay off. Yes, there were some interesting situations and some interesting characters, but it just felt very anti-climatic.

I agree with you about the end!

It took me a week to finish it (unlike the Harrys which were a couple of days at most). I'm not really sure what to make of it to be perfectly honest. At one point I was seriously hoping that there would be a massive gas explosion at the meeting as I found none of the characters partially likable. I think it basically boiled down to a old fashioned British class war. I think I'm going to have to re-read it but it won't be for awhile.

I wonder if this was a clean break from Hogwarts. It's as if, to me, that JKR wanted to say to the world I can write other things. I'm thinking that any other adult book she may write won't have as much language and non family friendly content.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Realistic Reply with quote

In real life with many government things there is very little resolution so for me it could almost hve been a profile shot of the area I live and worked in so for me was a little unsettling which could have been why I quite enjoyed reading it. It was rather like reliving the conflicts and problems of the area I live in now. super grin
Jessica A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: The Casual Vacancy Reply with quote

I finished it about half an hour ago. I cried. I'll say something, that woman can still bring emotions out in me!

It really made me cry when Sukhvinder had asked for the Umbrella song for Krystal's funeral

I really felt sorry for Krystal in the end- I mean I did right the way through the book, and I was really hoping for a happy ending for her, or at least a safe one. When she did what she did (I'm not going into details...) I actually shouted "Don't!"- but it didn't work.

I felt that a lot of what happened was filler, but it made sense. Like Samantha kissing Andrew. I didn't think it needed to be there, but to take that bit out, you'd have to remove the whole part of her fantasising about the boyband...

Oh, and I didn't like the pushy way that Samantha lost her ticket for that- I'd have just said "No, I'm going" and that would be that

So yeah, I enjoyed it. It made me laugh and cry in equal measures, even though it's not the best book I've ever read, it's one that I like. I think I'll get a lot more out of it on a re-read...because it took me a week to read, and I didn't remember a lot of what happened at the beginning.

But, poor Krystal. Silly girl for doing what she did, but understandable given her circumstances- her background with her mother- it being the same way her mum copes with stuff- and her responsibility for Robbie that she didn't need, what happened to her with Obbo, losing the one person who believed in her...the list goes on. I didn't want her to die, but things like this happen, in fiction and in reality

I'd give the book 7/10 personally...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: