AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Hunger Games, the books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anémone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: The horror of children who kill Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
As an athiest it isn't christian beliefs that stops me just the horror of children being forced to fight to the death puts me off.

Is it any more horrible than child soldiers in Africa and elsewhere in the world? I saw a news feature on Sierra Leone some months ago, where an 11-year-old girl was boasting about having killed dozens of people and proudly toting her gun. It made me shudder and I was sick to my stomach. Eek

At least in the series they kill each other outright - most of the time anyway - they don't deliberately cut off people's arms and legs then let them live. The real horror and cruelty comes from the Game makers and their masters.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: The horror of children who kill Reply with quote

It is just as horrible I think because of the killing mentality. Pity that like the lyrics in Universal Soldier that soldiers etc come in all shapes and sizes. Just think - if everyone refused to obey those telling them to kill and said enough is enough - there would be no more wars. Shame it is never going to happen though.
cindy1970

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: The Hunger Games series Reply with quote

I liked the first book, but I thought the developments in the last two a bit far-fetched. Though I have to give Suzanne Collins points for a lot of imagination and creativity - the arena being a clock for example - and refinement in cruelty. Some of the decisions by Snow and his gamemakers, and also by the Prez of District 13 (her name escapes me) are truly horrific
Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games series Reply with quote

cindy1970 wrote:
I liked the first book, but I thought the developments in the last two a bit far-fetched. Though I have to give Suzanne Collins points for a lot of imagination and creativity - the arena being a clock for example - and refinement in cruelty. Some of the decisions by Snow and his gamemakers, and also by the Prez of District 13 (her name escapes me) are truly horrific

Imagination and creativty in refinement in cruelty - is that really a good thing? confused Eek
ZeroG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Folk tale structure in THG Reply with quote

Did anyone listen to the latest Mugglenet Academia episode on folktales? They briefly discuss The Hunger Games in terms of how HG fits into the framework of folktales and how this professor analyses stories in terms of whether the story hits the archetypal story elements of folktales (as far as I could determine, the folktale structure and elements are similar to the structure and elements of The Voyage of the Hero)

I especially thought it was interesting when they discussed HG and said that they couldn't make Katniss fit the protagonist role in the analysis but once they switch Peeta into the role of protagonist the whole analysis fell into place.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Folk tale structure in THG Reply with quote

ZeroG wrote:
Did anyone listen to the latest Mugglenet Academia episode on folktales? They briefly discuss The Hunger Games in terms of how HG fits into the framework of folktales and how this professor analyses stories in terms of whether the story hits the archetypal story elements of folktales (as far as I could determine, the folktale structure and elements are similar to the structure and elements of The Voyage of the Hero)

I especially thought it was interesting when they discussed HG and said that they couldn't make Katniss fit the protagonist role in the analysis but once they switch Peeta into the role of protagonist the whole analysis fell into place.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

My immediate reaction was that it seems rather sexist. I wonder what their argument was.
DarkWind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Folk tale structure in THG Reply with quote

Strawberry07 wrote:
My immediate reaction was that it seems rather sexist.

My thought entirely. It doesn't conform as long as the main, active protagonist is female, but suddenly all falls into place when the hero is male. Rolling Eyes
Thuy Duong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Folk tale structure in THG Reply with quote

DarkWind wrote:
Strawberry07 wrote:
My immediate reaction was that it seems rather sexist.

My thought entirely. It doesn't conform as long as the main, active protagonist is female, but suddenly all falls into place when the hero is male. Rolling Eyes

Geez, are we back to the era of the knight in shining armour rescuing the damsel in distress? I can't think of anyone less of a damsel in distress than Katniss Everdeen! Though Peeta does have something of a knight in shining armor. He'd be the white knight and Gale sort of the black knight (especially in the third book) though they both love Katniss and will do anything to protect her - that is, if she needs protection.

However, Peeta has his own "black knight" episode too, in Mockingjay. Too complicated, I guess, for the classic folk tale structure, hey? wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: