AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Hunger Games, the books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emmanuel

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Mockingjay Reply with quote

What I like about Katniss is that she's not perfect. You have to take her on her own terms, you have to like her, warts and all, or just stop reading. Which, considering Collins' considerable talent to get you hooked - what with a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter - is not an option.

Her main redeeming feature is her love for her little sister. It's when she is really selfless. Even when she risks her life to save Peeta's, there's always an ulterior motive. But as Mockingjay she's really excellent.

I know whose tragic, fiery ending you're referring to, Mr. Watch. That was really heart-wrenching.

I'll wait until Janine is through the series before commenting further on the ending.

Huntress is right, the final chapter went by too fast for me. Too much to absorb. The only thing I'll say is that Katniss did the right thing with the "last weapon fired during the war."

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mockingjay Reply with quote

Emmanuel wrote:
I'll wait until Janine is through the series before commenting further on the ending.

Janine is done. She's still trying to digest it all, but you all go ahead and comment.

Quote:
Huntress is right, the final chapter went by too fast for me. Too much to absorb. The only thing I'll say is that Katniss did the right thing with the "last weapon fired during the war."

Actually, it's "the last shot fired" - and well-fired too. I was flabbergasted when Snow told Katniss who was really responsible for making Prim a human torch. I'm sorry Mr. Watch that that was spoiled for you. I hadn't expected it at all. It was heartbreaking. Also, after Katniss comes back to District 12 and she tells Prim's cat that Prim is dead and she and Buttercup finally make peace to mourn Prim together. cry me a river

I'll come back and comment more later. There's a lot to take in there at the end.
Stormy Night

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mockingjay Reply with quote

Emmanuel wrote:
What I like about Katniss is that she's not perfect. You have to take her on her own terms, you have to like her, warts and all, or just stop reading. Which, considering Collins' considerable talent to get you hooked - what with a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter - is not an option.

Yes she's not always likable as a person, Collins did the characterization masterfully.

Those cliffhangers at the end of each chapter is what kept people, including me, reading on chapter after chapter into the wee hours of the morning. The suspense is sometimes unbearable so we HAVE to know what comes next. I was biting my nails as much as Katniss does in the books.
Mr.Watch

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mockingjay Reply with quote

Janine wrote:
Actually, it's "the last shot fired" - and well-fired too. I was flabbergasted when Snow told Katniss who was really responsible for making Prim a human torch. I'm sorry Mr. Watch that that was spoiled for you. I hadn't expected it at all. It was heartbreaking. Also, after Katniss comes back to District 12 and she tells Prim's cat that Prim is dead and she and Buttercup finally make peace to mourn Prim together. cry me a river

The cat thing really did it for me as well. Couldn't stop after that part.

The series was definitely emotionally draining. I definitely felt the desperation and depressing repressive nature of the regime throughout the books.
Janine

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mockingjay Reply with quote

Mr.Watch wrote:
The series was definitely emotionally draining. I definitely felt the desperation and depressing repressive nature of the regime throughout the books.

I don't know. Maybe I was reading it too fast, because I wanted to go through all three books to the end so I'd be able to discuss it with you all. But it didn't really drain me emotionally. I was caught up in the action, and that, what with wanting to know what happens next, I guess I didn't really have time to "feel" the story.

Sure there are moments of pure horror at the cruelty of Snow and his cohorts. Like when they reverse the new rule allowing two winners. When they beat Cinna to death. When they flog Gale. When they torture Peeta, and when Peeta recalls how they tortured the Avoxes in front of him. All that Snow does to break Katniss. And of course that awful moment when the parachutes explode among the Capitol children the first time, then the second blast that killed the Rebels' medics - an atrocitiy which we find out cannot, for once, be laid at Snow's door.

There are also some very sweet moments, that let you rest from the horrors for a few minutes. Katniss laying Rue to rest. Katniss and Prim. Katniss and Peeta in the cave, with Gale in the woods. Cinna's goodbye to Katniss (before we know what happens to him right afterwards) - and of course the epilogue with Katniss singing to her children. So at least the series ends on a tender, loving note.

I was moved, but I didn't feel drained.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Thanks but no thanks Reply with quote

Well there you go - not a book for me since I want something positive in my life at the moment.
Janine

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Positive Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Well there you go - not a book for me since I want something positive in my life at the moment.

The ending is very positive. The good guys win and live happily ever after. What can be more positive than that?

I'm also of the opinion that sheer spunk and ethics overcoming tyranny and evil is a very positive thing. Just saying. Confused

It seems I'm the last one on this thread to have read the books, so you can put it down as a neophyte's enthusiasm. But I did enjoy that trilogy immensely.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks but no thanks Reply with quote

I think I must be the only person on this forum who has not read these books or the Millenium series either. I can't seem to get inspired to read either at the moment.
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks but no thanks Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I think I must be the only person on this forum who has not read these books or the Millenium series either. I can't seem to get inspired to read either at the moment.

No, you're not the only one. Laurelluin refuses to read THG on principle, because the idea of teenagers being forced to fight each other to the death on live television repulses her and her Christian beliefs.

I don't know what she thinks of the Millenium series, but I think she would also object to the subject matter.

Still, IMO those are two excellent series. But if it's not your cup of tea, well so be it. Very Happy
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks but no thanks Reply with quote

As an athiest it isn't christian beliefs that stops me just the horror of children being forced to fight to the death puts me off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: