AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Hunger Games, the books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janine

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Trilogy Reply with quote

Strawberry07 wrote:
This kind of underhanded dealing on the part of Snow brings me to another question - it's probably obvious that the Quell was specifically chosen to fit the situation. Katniss speculates on this after the Quell is announced - and it is far too convenient to have been written seventy five years previously.

That's the impression I get too. It can only be Snow.

Quote:
It makes me wonder why the other Quells were chosen - perhaps the first, , probably not chosen by Snow, where they had to vote for Tributes, was a way of sowing discord among the people of each district - preventing the kind of unity needed for a rebellion. The second Quell, with double the number of tributes - perhaps a way to refresh the horror, make it seem all the worse. Perhaps it was even just a way to distract the Capitol residents from some scheme he had going on at the time - longer and more brutal Games = better distraction.

Agreement

Quote:
The difference there is that the Victor Tributes know each other. They've met at Games and Games-related events for years. Mags had been Finnick's mentor. This meant that the lines were blurred between friend and enemy, between ally and rival much more than in the usual Games. Plus, the planned escape was another motivation for the alliances. They meant to get Katniss and as many others out as possible. Apart from Katniss and Peeta, their group of allies in the Quell were not anticipating the usual fight to the death.

Thanks for blanking the end out, Strawberry, but now that I've finished the book, I put it back on, as it seems I'm the only one in this group not to have read the whole series yet.

That planned escape really took me by surprise. Johanna's behaviour puzzled me until I realized that she was part of the group in the know. And now she and Peeta, and Finnick's love Annie are prisoners in the Capitol? Eek

I see now that the rebel group was working together from the beginning of the Quell, or right after it was announced. So they killed off the Career Tributes and those who were not part of the plot, or let them die. Then went on with the plan.

I mourn for Cinna.

The arena being a clock is such an original, clever idea! Tick, tock... Suzanne Collins really has a lot of imagination.

I'm a bit wary of President Coin. Looks like she rules District 13 with an iron hand, not even sheathing it in a velvet glove. I'm curious to see how it all turns out, now that Katniss has agreed to be the Mockingjay, but Coin imposed strict conditions/restrictions on her.

OK, I'm going back to it. Don't let me know what becomes of Peeta, Johanna and Annie - though the suspense is killing me.
Mr.Watch

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Enjoy it! Reply with quote

Enjoy it Janine. (I somehwat had the ending ruined for me).
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Discussion topics Reply with quote

Mr.Watch wrote:
Enjoy it Janine. (I somehwat had the ending ruined for me).

How come, Mr. Watch? Did someone spoil it for you by telling you what happens, how it ends?

Myself, I don't mind spoilers. I actually peek at the end sometimes when it becomes unbearable not to know who lives and who dies... Embarassed

As to the discusion on this, we can go by chapters (though I'd have to have the books at hand since I don't always remember what happens when) or by character, major and minor.

Haymitch and Cinna are definitely characters worth exploring. Haymitch becoming a drunkard to blot out the memory of the Games, and never marrying, possibly for the same reason Katniss doesn't want to marry - so they don't have to send their children to the Reapings, and possibly to the arena.

Cinna - a great character. Someone from the Capitol, but not shallow like the members of his prep team. What are his motivations for rebelling? How did he come to join the "underground" movement in the Capitol? He had a great line, when he told Katnisss after she complained about the members of her prep team being so upset at her having to go back to the arena again after winning that they wept and she (who was supposed not to survive the Quarter Quell) having to comfort them so they can go back to their trivial activities, that he (Cinna) channelled his feelings in his worked so he could hurt no one but himself.

We can also discuss Katniss's mother. Or Finnick. Or Peeta's parents, how different they are, and how Peeta was influence by the fact that his father had been in love with Katniss' mother. We have Rue, of course, but basically though she's the most likable character, there's not much known about her.

There is however no scarcity of characters to discuss, starting with our Trio of heroes. Quite different from the HP Trio, and certainly set in an entirely different situation (except that both Trios are fighting what is, ultimately, Evil), but that makes it all the more interesting.

Also, how did the people in the Capitol become so dehumanized that they consider those annual Games normal, seeing kids kill each other as entertainment, how did they become so indifferent to human suffering? Do they consider the people from the Districts sub-human?
Mr.Watch

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Dehumanization Reply with quote

Ah, I did, I was told about a certain character's fiery and tragic death.

It was a wrench reading it.

As for the dehumanization, it might seem a bit over the top; but we're certainly dehumanized as well. So long as it doesn't happen here most people don't care about what happens in wars far away; in Afghanistan or Iraq or anywhere else. Look at the popularity that Al Jazaera capitalized on as they were the only "news" (I put quotation marks, as Al Jaezera serves a political and capitalist purpose; much like CNN, Fox, RT or any other corporate media station) source that provided videos of beheading of prisoners.

Look at the amount of violence and gore which have become the norm of most "gritty" movies and television series nowadays. People have become so sold on realism of the thing that they flock to the cinema to watch Saw XVII just because of the gorefest and blood orgy that it provides.

Than again we aren't all that far off from the Romans, who loved the Gladiator games and were always eager to watch men get murdered, women raped or beasts slaying the innocent.
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dehumanization Reply with quote

Mr.Watch wrote:
Than again we aren't all that far off from the Romans, who loved the Gladiator games and were always eager to watch men get murdered, women raped or beasts slaying the innocent.

The Hunger Games were obviously inspired by the Gladiator fights, the "bread and games" of the Romans. It's not a coincidence Collins gives most people in the Capitol Roman names.

Also, until late into the 18th century, public torture and executions were spectacles people went to like now we go to the movies. This, in Europe. In the 20th century, there were still public stonings or other forms of execution in Moslem countries. Even now in the 21st century I'm sure there still are. Let's not even mention China.

One would have thought we'd gotten more civilized but if one looks at some of the "reality" tv shows, it makes one doubt that. Eek
cindy1970

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dehumanization Reply with quote

Mr. Write wrote:
One would have thought we'd gotten more civilized but if one looks at some of the "reality" tv shows, it makes one doubt that. Eek

I read somewhere that at one point, recently, there was a poll in the US about public executions. The results were staggering.

In the same vein, during the Iraq War and in the heyday of Guantanamo, a disturbing number of people polled by CNN said they approved of torture.

I never watch the reality shows on TV so I can't comment about them, but the feeling I get about them is not good.
Mockingjay

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Here comes the Huntress Reply with quote

Hello, everyone! wave hello goodbye

I liked this series so much that I asked LadyDragon to change my username for me (No, I won't tell you my old name bleh ), got a new avatar and put two quotes from the books in my signature.

Janine, have you finished yet? I'm eager to discuss the ending, starting with the party responsible for the fiery end of one character, that upset Mr. Watch so much.

I thought the last chapter just a bit too condensed, but the message that comes off is certainly strong. I only half-like the epilogue, though the two verses about sweet dreams are taken from there.

Looking forward to more discussion on the moral of the whole story.
Here is the place where I love you
Mulan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Here comes the Huntress Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
Hello, everyone! wave hello goodbye

I liked this series so much that I asked LadyDragon to change my username for me (No, I won't tell you my old name bleh ), got a new avatar and put two quotes from the books in my signature.

You must be Janine, trying to throw us by asking Janine if she's done reading. Or else you're Jessica? confused
Mockingjay

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Here comes the Huntress Reply with quote

Mulan wrote:
You must be Janine, trying to throw us by asking Janine if she's done reading. Or else you're Jessica? confused

Nope. Look at the join date for the three of us, we joined this site years apart. I've joined only recently.

Also look at the number of posts. A member who changes names keeps his or her post count. I haven't posted here before, just lurked around. shifty
Here is the place where I love you
Mulan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: My mistake Reply with quote

Oh, OK. Embarassed

Welcome to the site and the discussion, then, Huntress! May the odds be ever in your favour! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: