AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Hunger Games, the books
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Watch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

I read the books in a week. Mostly because a certain girl recommended that I should. I like the series, the dark atmosphere reminds me of DH, that apprehension but excitement about what will happen next.
Jessica A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

Mr.Watch wrote:
I read the books in a week. Mostly because a certain girl recommended that I should. I like the series, the dark atmosphere reminds me of DH, that apprehension but excitement about what will happen next.

It's a great trilogy, Suzanne Collins does know how to hold her readers. Her cliffhangers at the end of almost every chapter keep you turning the pages until before you know it you've spent the whole night reading.

There's a lot of horrid things and terrible cruelty in it but somehow one keeps reading. The twists and turns are incredible. The author has so much imagination, in the refinement of the cruelty, all the traps, all the obstacles in the Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell, the feelings in the relationships, the ruthlessness of the Capitol ane especially President Snow, the stark contrast between the Capitol and the districts...

Did you notice all the Roman names, and the gladiatorial "flavour" of the fights in the games? (nets, tridents, etc.)
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

Mr.Watch wrote:
I read the books in a week.

So did I, the last two took two days each, or I should say days and nights since I read until the wee hours. bleh

The books are excellent. Reading them after I did the Millenium series... Aah, darkness to bleakness and, in both trilogies, all that's bad - and also all that's good - in human nature.

I found the ending a bit anticlimactic, though. I didn't quite understand why Katniss did what she did, I mean killed who she killed when she fired "the last shot of the war".

I was also wondering all along the three books with whom she'd end up with, Peeta or Gale. I'd have had a hard time choosing. A bit like that entirely different movie, César et Rosalie, where Romy Schneider is torn between Yves Montand and Sami Frey. Sami or Yves? Peeta or Gale? Oh what a quandary. Oh how I wish I had such problems!

Quote:
Did you notice all the Roman names?

Yes, Flavius, Cinna, Fulvia, etc... Not to mention Plutarch, Castor and Pollux et al. Collins seems to have taken a lot of her inspiration from the Ancient World. Right down to the name of the country, "Panem". The "tributes" fight in the "arena" - just like the gladiators did. As in Panem et circense.
Mr. Write

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

Mr.Watch wrote:

Don't you think, though, that the main characters, who're still teenagers, are remarkably mature? And when Katniss takes command of the rebel forces who invade and conquer the Capitol... Isn't 17 a bit young for commander in chief of an army, however small?

Napoleon himself didn't make it to General until he was in his twenties. super grin
Janine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

You all made me curious so I went out and bought the trilogy. I'm starting on the first one. Good writing, interesting characters. I can see how one can get hooked and read all night, though I haven't reached that point yet.

Will report on progress. Very Happy
Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

Janine wrote:
You all made me curious so I went out and bought the trilogy. I'm starting on the first one. Good writing, interesting characters. I can see how one can get hooked and read all night, though I haven't reached that point yet.

Will report on progress. Very Happy

So how long did it take you to read all three? It took me about 6 days. super grin

I'm thinking of rereading them at leisure... one of these days. bleh

Mr. Write wrote:
Don't you think, though, that the main characters, who're still teenagers, are remarkably mature? And when Katniss takes command of the rebel forces who invade and conquer the Capitol... Isn't 17 a bit young for commander in chief of an army, however small?

Yep, I agree. Those kids, though, had to grow up pretty fast considering the circumstances in which they lived, and Katniss had to take care of her mother and sister since she was 10 or something. True too for the commander in chief thing, and she realized it, but at that point she had no choice, all the older leaders were dead and someone had to take charge. She was only leading 4 people after all. In the French Résistance, some of the fighters who sometimes had to pick up the standard were 17. In similar fiction, Prince Éric was only 17 when he became an officer. Cool
Roar

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: The Hunger Games Reply with quote

I finished the series not to long ago, and really liked them. I agree with Doan_Do that they were kids forced by circumstances to grow up fast.

Although I found them hard to put down while reading, many of the characters just don't stick with me now that I am done. I really think it was Katniss and Rue's relationship that was the most compelling in any of the three books, and those two characters are the ones I remember best, even though Rue was only there for a short time.
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: The Hunger Games Reply with quote

I actually started rereading the series, am already over 100 pages into the first book.

Quote:
In the French Résistance, some of the fighters who sometimes had to pick up the standard were 17. In similar fiction, Prince Éric was only 17 when he became an officer.

In history, both Edward and Richard of York (the future Edward IV and Richard III) led men in battle when they were 18. They each had their own armies and won many victories for York during the War of the Roses.

Roar, I agree with you. Rue is a very likable character, so young, so sweet, her end so tragic. The scene when Katniss buries her in flowers is very moving.
Romentic

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
Although I found them hard to put down while reading, many of the characters just don't stick with me now that I am done. I really think it was Katniss and Rue's relationship that was the most compelling in any of the three books, and those two characters are the ones I remember best, even though Rue was only there for a short time.

I agree that Rue is a memorable character, but IMO so are Gale, Peeta, Haymich, Cinna and little Primrose.

I found Cinna fascinating. For some reason the red-haired Avox girl also sticks in my mind. I find myself wondering at her story, why she and the boy she was with were fleeing the Capitol, how they got as far as District 12 before being caught. A whole chapter could have been devoted to their story, to show that even living in luxury in the Capitol, there could be malcontents and rebels who resisted in their own way - once again Cinna is a prime example.
Mr.Watch

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Hunger Games, the books Reply with quote

Mr. Write wrote:
Mr.Watch wrote:

Napoleon himself didn't make it to General until he was in his twenties. super grin

Well, when you're living in a world where any false step can have you killed, hunger is as natural as the rain; it's hard not to be beyond your years.

My grandfathers whole life philosophy, downright to the way he ate was based on having lived through the war and the subsequent years of Stalinist oppression and communist discontent.

I don't think its far fetched to acknowledge that its not impossible. Considering that the Polish Scouting Movement was at the forefront of anti-Nazi sabotage, retaliatory operations and assassinations during the war.

I remember walking through the Powązki Cemetary in 2004 when I was still active in the Polish Scouting Movement and the sheer number of graves with the age of combatants who lost their lives resisting the Nazi Regime. Many were oft in their early-mid-late teens. Truly a sad loss of life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: