AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Stieg Larsson's Millenium series
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janine

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Millenium Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Miss seventeen (granddaughter) today told me she was reading the Millenium book/s - she had one with her when she visited me today. Funny that as she has never been much of a reader - she didn't read anything after the first Twilght book in that series as found it rather uninteresting but I think she has seen a couple of the movies. She hasn't read the last two books of the Harry Potter series either but has seen all the movies. I wonder if she'll stick this lot out.... super grin

So did she stick it out and finish the series?

I agree with Viet Chick that 17 may be a bit young to be plunged into that dark world. Though Lisbeth is only 13 when "all the horror" happens to her.

I concur with all those who encouraged you to read the books yourself, Inkling7. I'm sure you'd find them worth the effort.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Thanks but no thanks Reply with quote

No thanks - enough problems with teenagers in my real life at the moment thank you very much. super grin
Janine

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Teenagers Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
No thanks - enough problems with teenagers in my real life at the moment thank you very much. super grin

Actually, the characters in the Millenium series are all adults. Lisbeth Salander is in her 20's now. The scenes from her teenaged years are flashbacks.

So "problems with teenagers" is not a valid excuse not to read the books. shameless grin
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks but no thanks Reply with quote

Browsed through the books but still can't get interested enough to read them. Ah well each to their own. I'm sure some of the books I read wouldn't interest a few of you people either.
Rowena

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Yes thanks Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Browsed through the books but still can't get interested enough to read them. Ah well each to their own. I'm sure some of the books I read wouldn't interest a few of you people either.

To each her own indeed. I confess it took me some time to get into the first book, but once past the prologue, I got hooked and read through all three at record speed. Then watched the movies, and intend to re-read the books some time in the near future.

Right now I'm into a delightfully satiric book set in a world where women have all the power and men have to fight for their rights. The mirror image of the world as we know it now. It's very clever and funny, a real treat. Quite a change from "Millennium" and "The Hunger Games" that have taken up so much debate space around here. super grin
Bérénice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Going OT (Sorry, Mods!) Reply with quote

Rowena wrote:
Right now I'm into a delightfully satiric book set in a world where women have all the power and men have to fight for their rights. The mirror image of the world as we know it now. It's very clever and funny, a real treat.

Would that be a French book by Isabelle Alonso? I've heard very good reviews about it. It's supposed to be very ingenious, both funny and sad. I'm told that syntactically, it's very clever in the way it turns the French language, and because of that it's untranslatable. Is this true?
Sans que jamais Titus puisse voir Bérénice?

In a month, in a year, how will we steel our hearts
My lord, to being from each other oceans apart?
And that day after day dawns and then dies
Without our ever being able to see each other's eyes?
Stormy Night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Back on topic Reply with quote

I've reread the series. My favorite is the third book, where Salander is vindicated. The last part of the trial is thoroughly enjoyable, and not long enough in my opinion. I'd have liked to see more or Elkström and Teleborian's discomfiture and humiliation. Twisted Evil
Thuy Duong

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Back on topic Reply with quote

Stormy Night wrote:
I've reread the series. My favorite is the third book, where Salander is vindicated. The last part of the trial is thoroughly enjoyable, and not long enough in my opinion. I'd have liked to see more or Elkström and Teleborian's discomfiture and humiliation. Twisted Evil

Yeah, it's satisfying, but IMO Teleborian is not punished enough. Though what he got is bad enough, he richly deserved it, but I'd have liked to see him totally crushed.
Mockingjay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Back on topic Reply with quote

Thuy Duong wrote:
Yeah, it's satisfying, but IMO Teleborian is not punished enough. Though what he got is bad enough, he richly deserved it, but I'd have liked to see him totally crushed.

He IS totally crushed. He's humiliated and exposed as a liar in front of the Court and the media, they see that he has betrayed his duty as a doctor, that he has tortured Salander when she was only 12 years old, that he's a paedophile. In just a few hours, he falls down from internationally respected psychiatrist to a sorry excuse for a human being. He's facing perjury charges and paedophilia charges. He may not suffer physically, but as a respected medical practitioner he's totally destroyed. He'll never be able to hold his head up in public again.

Couldn't happen to a nicer man. He was so sure of himself, so arrogant, so dismissive of Annika as Salander's defense lawyer. I wish he had been made to watch the whole dvd.

Too bad they didn't show Inspector Faste and his response to all those revelations. Not to mention that silly nurse who was defending Bjürman. What I regret is that Bjürman is dead and can't go through what Teleborian is going to go through.

I'd have liked the three of them - Teleborian, Bjürman, the nurse, throw in Elkström and Faste - be made to watch that dvd in public, with the camera full on their faces.
Here is the place where I love you
ZeroG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: What about the movies? Reply with quote

The movies, both the American, and the Swedish adaptations, were great too. Did y' all see them too? Not sure the Swedish versions were released this side of the Atlantic, were they?

ETA - I did a Search, found we discussed the movies in this forum years ago... I had forgotten!

http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3373
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: