AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Damnation of Severus Snape
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: The Damnation of Severus Snape Reply with quote

For an excellent essay about Snape, go here: http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/snapedamnation.shtml.

In it (all the comments are based on canon) the author destroys the myth of Snape the Hero. The Snapefen are understandably in a tizzy.

The author also refers to another essay entitled "The Deification of Severus Snape" that I'd much like to read, too.

I'll look for it when I get back to the US. Right now I should go to bed early for a change, as I have to get up literally before the crack of dawn for my flight back.
GypsyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Damnation of Severus Snape Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
For an excellent essay about Snape, go here: http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/snapedamnation.shtml.

In it (all the comments are based on canon) the author destroys the myth of Snape the Hero. The Snapefen are understandably in a tizzy.

The author also refers to another essay entitled "The Deification of Severus Snape" that I'd much like to read, too.

I'll look for it when I get back to the US. Right now I should go to bed early for a change, as I have to get up literally before the crack of dawn for my flight back.

Here's the link, http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/deificationofsnape.shtml. It's also very good. Of course certain Snape fans hate it almost as much as they hate 'Just Margaret' on YouTube. Here's her review of Snape; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFazHRmxwtk&feature=plcp&context=C3e561b2UDOEgsToPDskKhYZfHyXYdUHNPI_41-_tm

Have fun.
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Damnation of Severus Snape Reply with quote

GypsyGirl wrote:
Here's the link, http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/deificationofsnape.shtml. It's also very good. Of course certain Snape fans hate it almost as much as they hate 'Just Margaret' on YouTube. Here's her review of Snape; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFazHRmxwtk
Have fun.

I did have fun, thank you GypsyGirl! Rose

I haven't read the Deification yet - started, but thought it a bit long for the time I had. Watched the video, though, and loved the points JustMargaret makes. Especially about that famous "Always" line, and about "the bravest man" (she, too, forgets the qualifying "probably" but we'll let that pass).

I can see how the die-hard Snapefen would hate her, and hate the authors of the two essays.

Can anyone post on Mugglenet? I'm banned from CoS, but that doesn't make me "persona non grata" on Mugglenet in general, does it? I understand one can post anonymously there, is that right?

I'd like to post my congratulations to the two essayists. Also underline a couple of points to the Snapefen in case they missed them.
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Damnation of Severus Snape Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
I haven't read the Deification yet...

OK, I've read it now. It's brilliant. ten

That's what the Snapefen don't see. Snape is not a brilliant person, nor is he a good person. But JK Rowlings' pen makes him a brilliant and interesting character because of he's not the usual "cut-and-dried" villain.

I disagree with the essayist that he is "unpredictable". He's a mystery sometimes, yes, and for the longest time we believe him to be an out-and-out villain. But his actions in the books are, IMO, very predictable throughout.

I don't quite remember all the points that Meesha made on CoS for calling him "uni-dimensional" but I do remember that she made very good points to that effect.

The long and the short of it is, we haven't heard or read the last about Snape yet, from either sides of the fandom.

When I have a little more time, I'll have to go and see the Snapefen's no doubt hightly amusing (to us)'s reaction to those two pieces and to the video. For that matter, I would like to see our resident Snape apologists, Frakkinship among them, respond to those pieces. And I'll definitely post those links on the DarkMark.
Asteria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Well, Snape certainly makes the cyberwaves buzz! Reply with quote

Goodness me, but without Snape, what would we do for HP discussions? wink bleh

If you want to comment directly on the "Damnation" essay:
Comment Box

And if you want to visit CoS again on the matter:
CoS Debate

This newbie (at least she's a newbie to me) Goddess Clio is something else! Rolling Eyes
MollyWobbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Well, Snape certainly makes the cyberwaves buzz! Reply with quote

Asteria wrote:

Indeed what would we do without Snape? He has several threads in this subforum alone, and this is not even a Snape fan site!

Thanks for the links, Asteria. I had a look. Like almost anywhere else, the debate goes in circles. The fans insist he is good and excuse anything bad that he did, and the other side try to point out that he is not good. In fact, a bully and a jerk, bravery or not. That he was brave, there's no doubt whatsoever. I don't see how that excuses his failings and betrayals and bullying.

The two essays were brilliant, and the video made me laugh in agreement.
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, Snape certainly makes the cyberwaves buzz! Reply with quote

MollyWobbles wrote:
Asteria wrote:

Indeed what would we do without Snape? He has several threads in this subforum alone, and this is not even a Snape fan site!

Even Snape is not enough to keep up the debate going, it seems. This subforum is dead as a doornail.

We had a couple of pro-Snape (without being Snapefen) debaters but they seem to have either dropped off the site or holding their peace.

Where have all the Snape fans, Snapefen and Snaters gone? wonder

For that matter, where have the Marauders fans, the Lily fans, the Cedric fans gone? Where have all the Harry Potter fans gone? Pale sigh
Hedwig

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: We're here! Reply with quote

The Shuttle wrote:
Where have all the Snape fans, Snapefen and Snaters gone? wonder

For that matter, where have the Marauders fans, the Lily fans, the Cedric fans gone? Where have all the Harry Potter fans gone? Pale sigh

We're here, mate. We've come back when we saw that the Potterverse was being discussed again. shameless grin
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: A great essay on Snape Reply with quote

This link was posted in the Google "Snater" group. I haven't read the essay but thought it might be worth a look.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/severus-snape-does-not-deserve-your-pity
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A great essay on Snape Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
This link was posted in the Google "Snater" group. I haven't read the essay but thought it might be worth a look.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/04/severus-snape-does-not-deserve-your-pity

I read it and I agree with the Snater from our group: it's excellent. ten
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: