AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
The Marauding Cafe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Champers! Reply with quote

Everyone has gone to the pub for champers to celebrate Obama's win..... super grin
Winterfell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: I solemnly swear Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Everyone has gone to the pub for champers to celebrate Obama's win..... super grin

Election's over.

I solemnly swear I need a slice of Padfoot's and Prong's Flatbread Pizza, washed down with butterbeer.

Meal Managed!

May I keep you company for a while, Roar? Are you familiar with the Song of Ice and Fire, aka Game of Thrones series? We can chat about some cross-universe stuff here. Very Happy
Roar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: I solemnly swear... Reply with quote

I'd love the company, Winterfell!

(Siriusly Black Coffee, please, Pixie Waitress!)

I've never read Song of Fire and Ice. What about it do you like? Does it have strong female characters?
Winterfell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: I solemnly swear... Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
I've never read Song of Fire and Ice. What about it do you like? Does it have strong female characters?

It's a great epic story. Some NY Times critic said it's even better than LotR!

Almost all female characters (with maybe two exceptions, Lysa and Sansa) are strong. My special favorite is Arya Stark, the girl in my signature. She's 11 at the start of the series, but already a firebrand, fearless, better than her brothers with bow and arrows, learns to use a sword (her brother Jon has one forged especially for her), is very smart. Very ruthless for one so young when it comes to avenging her family and friends. Her mother is also a very strong character. Most of the women hold their own quite nicely in a heavily patriarchal society.

Whops, we're chatting and not ordering anything. Would you care for another Siriusly Black coffee? Pixie waitress, coffee for my companion here, another butterbeer for me, please!
Roar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: I solemnly swear... Reply with quote

Winterfell wrote:
Roar wrote:

It's a great epic story. Some NY Times critic said it's even better than LotR!

Almost all female characters (with maybe two exceptions, Lysa and Sansa) are strong. My special favorite is Arya Stark, the girl in my signature. She's 11 at the start of the series, but already a firebrand, fearless, better than her brothers with bow and arrows, learns to use a sword (her brother Jon has one forged especially for her), is very smart. Very ruthless for one so young when it comes to avenging her family and friends. Her mother is also a very strong character. Most of the women hold their own quite nicely in a heavily patriarchal society.

Whops, we're chatting and not ordering anything. Would you care for another Siriusly Black coffee? Pixie waitress, coffee for my companion here, another butterbeer for me, please!

Oh, and a plate of Molly's Mighty Magic Muffins-- as it is breakfast time and I am very hungry!

I think I need more girls in the media in my life. TV and movies are getting depressing. If aliens got their information about us by watching TV they would think humans had a sex ratio of 7 males to 1 female. I need something better than that! It doesn't have to be a perfect ratio but I at least don't want it to hammer me over the head with how off it is-- I find it really immersion breaking.

But characters and plot aside, how is the writing in Song of Fire and Ice? An entirely subjective question, I know. Probably should get it from the library and see for myself. I tend to like writing that gives quick and to the point descriptions (one reason why I like JK Rowling, I suppose!).
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I solemnly swear... Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
Oh, and a plate of Molly's Mighty Magic Muffins-- as it is breakfast time and I am very hungry!

I'll have a pint of Ale of the Phoenix, please.

Quote:
I think I need more girls in the media in my life. TV and movies are getting depressing. If aliens got their information about us by watching TV they would think humans had a sex ratio of 7 males to 1 female. I need something better than that! It doesn't have to be a perfect ratio but I at least don't want it to hammer me over the head with how off it is-- I find it really immersion breaking.

I never really paid attention... I must say, though, that I watch very little TV - just the news and some political talk shows, I haven't followed any series regularly in some time. The last ones my husband and I watched before his death are Sherlock and Downton Abbey. Sherlock doesn't have a main female character that I remember. Downton Abbey, though, has many female characters, starting with the redoubtable and marvelous Maggie Smith. I haven't watched the next seasons, it reminded me too much of my husband's last days at home. We also watched Hawaii 5-0 and I did watch the second season. It's true that the core group of main characters is composed of one woman and three men...

I did watch Game of Thrones though. I haven't kept count, but it seems to me there are about as many female characters as males.

Quote:
But characters and plot aside, how is the writing in Song of Fire and Ice? An entirely subjective question, I know. Probably should get it from the library and see for myself. I tend to like writing that gives quick and to the point descriptions (one reason why I like JK Rowling, I suppose!).

I thought you had read the series, Roar? I may misremember, but I thought you'd bought "Dance with Dragons"? I think you mentioned it when I said I had translated some of GRRM's works.

GRRM writes well, and I like his shorter novels, novellas, novelettes, short stories, whatnot, but I must confess SoIaF defeats me. I stopped in the middle of the 3rd book, "A Storm of Swords" (though I did peak at the end, and a certain character's death is part of what stopped me from reading). I bought "Feast for Crows" but haven't even opened it, didn't bother with "Dance with Dragons". Though I did read the summary on Google, so I know more or less what's been going on. super grin

GRRM can be long-winded in his descriptions. I tried recently to get back into it by going back to "Storm of Swords" but gave up after a couple of page. Pale sigh
Roar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: I solemnly swear... Reply with quote

More Siriusly Black Coffee, please!

Kerowyn wrote:
I thought you had read the series, Roar? I may misremember, but I thought you'd bought "Dance with Dragons"? I think you mentioned it when I said I had translated some of GRRM's works.

Not me. I much prefer non-fiction books and mystery novels to fantasy fiction. It's a wonder I ever got around to the Harry Potter books. I originally planned to read them with my daughter once she turned ten, but I got bored and needed something to read and picked up PS/SS eight years earlier then planned. After that I was hooked.

Quote:
GRRM writes well, and I like his shorter novels, novellas, novelettes, short stories, whatnot, but I must confess SoIaF defeats me. I stopped in the middle of the 3rd book, "A Storm of Swords" (though I did peak at the end, and a certain character's death is part of what stopped me from reading). I bought "Feast for Crows" but haven't even opened it, didn't bother with "Dance with Dragons". Though I did read the summary on Google, so I know more or less what's been going on. super grin

GRRM can be long-winded in his descriptions. I tried recently to get back into it by going back to "Storm of Swords" but gave up after a couple of page. Pale sigh

Next important questions: Is each novel in the series a contained story? And does the book cycle have a set number, or is it indefinite?

Too bad he's longwinded. That could definitely be a problem. I've got the attention span of a gnat!
Kerowyn
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I solemnly swear... Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
More Siriusly Black Coffee, please!

I'll have another ale, please, pixie waitress. And some Luscious Lily Scones. Thank you.

Quote:
Next important questions: Is each novel in the series a contained story? And does the book cycle have a set number, or is it indefinite?

Too bad he's longwinded. That could definitely be a problem. I've got the attention span of a gnat!

No, it's not a contained story in each book, unfortunately. It's a long and complex story of strife in the Seven Kingdom with all the noble houses, big and small, vying for power. There's a cliffhanger at the end of every book (and thus every season of the tv series), with one of the main characters either killed off or in an extremely precarious situation.

If you have the "attention span of a gnat", this series is not for you. We're now at book 5 of 7 - at least the author said it would be seven. At first it was going to be a trilogy, then a tetralogy, then a pentalogy, etc. And the faithful had to wait several years between books.

The cast of characters grew so big that there needs to be a 20-page annex listing the main Houses, their members by birth or marriage, their vassals ("bannermen"), who did what to whom when - GRRM himself has to refer to it sometimes. I sort of gave up reading the book themselves, as I said in my last post. I watch the tv series (right now we're waiting for the 3rd season to come out next April) and I check on line to remind myself who's who and what happened to them before.

There's a faithful following on CoS, where the debate on characters can sometimes get as heated as the one on Snape and the Marauders, LOL!!
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Where have the Marauders gone? Reply with quote

The Cafe is deserted. No one around. The pixie waitress is dying of boredom. Where is everybody?

I'll get a Cho ChangHai Chai Tea while I wait around a bit. Perch on the back of that chair, Pixie waitress. Maybe we can shoot the breeze together for a little while. Cool
Muggle_Magic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: A question Reply with quote

Someone asked whether the partying relating to the DQ game would be held here or at the Meet and Greet Pub. Concern was expressed as to the availability of champagne.

inkling7 wrote:
But does the cafe sell champers etc? I don't want to celebrate with a coffee etc.... super grin

Well, they do carry butterbeer by popular demand. super grin I'm sure champers would also be available.

Would it? confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: