AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Pearls of Wisdom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Pearls of Wisdom Reply with quote

Some of these are old, but there are a few good new ones. At least some I didn't know. super grin

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

3. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

5. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

6. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

8. Evening news is where they begin with 'Good Evening,' and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

9. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

10. A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

11. I thought I wanted a career.. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

12. Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says, 'In case of emergency, notify:' I put 'DOCTOR.'

13. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

14. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

15. Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

16. A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

17. I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

18. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

19. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

20. There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.

21. I used to be indecisive.. Now I'm not so sure.

22. You're never too old to learn something stupid.

23. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

24. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

25. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

26. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

27. A diplomat is someone who tells you to go to hell in such a way that you look forward to the trip.

28. Hospitality is making your guests feel at home even when you wish they were.

29. I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila.

30. When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.
Smurfette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Wise indeed Reply with quote

Some of those are really pretty good. AND accurate. super grin

Some are funny. I like the one about tomatoes and fruit salad.

And the one "behind every man..." - many a politician could testify to the accuracy of that one! Twisted Evil

The one about war is oh so true... dead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Pearl of Wisdom Quotes Reply with quote

Here are some particularly apt quotations and quotes that may well qualify as - Pearls of Wisdom:

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.
Goethe

Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
Anais Nin

Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
Maya Angelou

When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.
La Rochefoucauld

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Pearls of Wisdom from Poets Reply with quote

A Disdain for Materialism
Poor and content is rich, and rich enough.
Shakespeare

A Distrust of Intellect
The intellectual power, through words and things,
Went sounding on, a dim and perilous way!
Wordsworth

A Yearning for Divine Edification

God guard me from those thoughts men think
In the mind alone;
He that sings a lasting song
Thinks in a marrow-bone;
Yeats

Charity

That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and of love.
Wordsworth

Purity of Heart
A peace above all earthly dignities,
A still and quiet conscience.
Shakespeare

Humility
The best of men
That e'er wore earth about him, was a sufferer,
A soft, meek, patient, humble, tranquil spirit,
The first true gentleman that ever breathed.
Thomas Dekker

Meekness
Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice,
And could of men distinguish her election,
Sh'hath sealed thee for herself, for thou hast been
As one in suff'ring all that suffers nothing,
A man that Fortune's buffets and rewards
Hast ta'en with equal thanks; and blest are those
Whose blood and judgement are so well co-medled,
That they are not a pipe for Fortune's finger
To sound what stop she please: give me that man
That is not passion's slave, and I will wear him
In my heart's core, ay in my heart of heart,
As I do thee.
Shakespeare

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: A few more wise quotes Reply with quote

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. super grin
Will Rogers

Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.
Ernest Hemingway

Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth.
Ludwig Börne

Nothing shows a man's character more than what he laughs at.
Goethe

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.
Agnes Repplier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: More pearls of wisdom Reply with quote

You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist. - Indira Gandhi

Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. - Swedish proverb

There is nothing wrong with making mistakes. Just don’t respond with encores.

The door of opportunity won’t open unless you do some pushing.

True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. - Oprah Winfrey

We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.

We expect more of ourselves than we have any right to. - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.

Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring and integrity they think of you.

The real tragedy of life is not being limited to one talent, but failing to use that one talent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More pearls of wisdom Reply with quote

This one is sooo true!
Xi`Trum wrote:
Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. - Swedish proverb

But my favourite is this one. Both true and funny.

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. - Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Wise advice Reply with quote

Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated
Warrior Princess

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mental Feng Shui Reply with quote

Mental Feng Shui

This is without a doubt one of the nicest good luck forwards I have received .. Hope it works for you -- and me!

Lotus Touts: You have 6 minutes

There's some mighty fine advice in these words, even if you're not superstitious .. This Lotus Touts has been sent to you for good luck from the Anthony Robbins organization. It has been sent around the world ten times so far.

Do not keep this message.

The Lotus Touts must leave your hands in 6 MINUTES. Otherwise you will get a very unpleasant surprise. This is true, even if you are not superstitious, agnostic, or otherwise faith impaired.

ONE. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.

TWO. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.

THREE. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.

FOUR. When you say, 'I love you,' mean it.

FIVE. When you say, 'I'm sorry,' look the person in the eye.

SIX. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.

SEVEN. Believe in love at first sight.

EIGHT. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.

NINE. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.

TEN. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.

ELEVEN. Don't judge people by their relatives.

TWELVE. Talk slowly but think quickly.

THIRTEEN! . . . When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, 'Why do you want to know?'

FOURTEEN. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

FIFTEEN. Say 'bless you' when you hear someone sneeze.

SIXTEEN. . When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

SEVENTEEN. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

EIGHTEEN. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

NINETEEN. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

TWENTY. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.

TWENTY- ONE. Spend some time alone.

Now, here's the FUN part!

Send this to at least 5 people and your life will improve. 1-4 people: Your life will improve slightly.

5-9 people: Your life will improve to your liking.

9-14 people: You will have at least 5 surprises in the next 3 weeks

15 and above: Your life will improve drastically and everything you ever dreamed of will begin to take shape ...

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

I consider posting this here "sending it to over 15 people", so let's hope my life will improve drastically and everything I ever dreamed of will begin to take shape. Though I wouldn't hold my breath.
Do Quy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mental Feng Shui Reply with quote

Warrior Princess wrote:
Mental Feng Shui
I consider posting this here "sending it to over 15 people", so let's hope my life will improve drastically and everything I ever dreamed of will begin to take shape. Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Looks a bit like cheating to me. bleh

What are the rest of us supposed to do? Copy it and send it? Plus, leaving it on the forum is like keeping it, and they say "do not keep this message". Very confusing. Confused

Well, good luck anyway. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Food for Thought All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: