AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
A Game Of Thrones
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: A Game Of Thrones Reply with quote

After much publicity, teasers, trailers, previews and the like, the first two episodes have finally aired and have been very well received by critics and fans alike.

Some pre-airing posts:

Quote:
Anyway, exciting new clips about House Baratheon, House Lannister and House Targaryen have emerged! I loved the Lannister clip in particular.

I loved them all too. There are also a bunch of new videos offered by Comcast which the fansite Winter is Coming has collected here: http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/03/new-house-videos-baratheon-and-lannister/

They feature character profiles for most of the Starks, Tyrion, Robert, Cersei, and Dany among other characters. Apparently there are also longer videos released for anyone who has Comcast via Comcast on Demand, but these haven't been released to the greater public yet, but they feature many new scenes.

ETA: Having watched all the character portraits, I feel confident in the understanding each actor has of their character. I especially think Tyrion and Arya will be scene-stealers. I really wished there was one for Robb, after seeing the Stark featurette I was looking forward to seeing more of him.

Here's another featurette:
The extended videos that Comcast had have now also been released (with the exception of the one I really want to see the extended Stark featurette). Winter is Coming has them here: http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/03/more-video-goodness/

They are significiantly better than the other videos, and do a marvelous job of relaying the backstory. Also in this collection are the Robb and Jaime character portraits. Both of which are great. Both men really have a great grasp of their characters. I'm calling it now that Robb, Tyrion, Arya and Jaime are going to be my favorite characters from the TV series (well they are from the books too, so they have just translated them onto screen perfectly).

With all of these featurettes, extended featurettes, and character profiles it is getting hard to wait to see the actual show.
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Comments on the featurettes Reply with quote

One comment:
I think the first scene worked best for people who've read the books. The scene was too slow, almost on purpose, and we were all awaiting that to happen. I do wonder how Will escaped from the Other.

Something else: I loved how we got perfectly introduced to Arya without her even speaking.

And another:
I think we did really get the measure of the whole Stark clan. Ned was at once noble, loving, fair, and regal. Catelyn showed her motherly side and displeasure with Jon. Rob already looking gallant and protective. Jon showing how he loved his family. Sansa being the "perfect princess". Arya being the "perfect tomboy". Rickon just being a happy child. Bran searching for his "place" among the family.

The opening scene beyond the wall was very good. I'm convinced that the term White Walker means something like snow walker because there was no white to them. They were quite menacing and the ritualistic carnage (and how it disappeared) was downright creepy. Also I loved Ned's explanation to Bran when Bran accused the the defector of lying about the white walkers and Ned basically said that the man was mad but thought his delusions were true so he wasn't really lying...Pretty powerful stuff there.
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Comments after the first episode aired Reply with quote

I know I'm cramming it in, but I'm trying to play catch up after so much time off-line.

Awesome, they got most of the charecters right.

The opening credits! I was simply enthralled by the little model of awesomeness they had created there. I don't know about the theme music though. It reminds me strongly of Rome, in fact, it caused me to hum the Rome theme for the rest of the day. Rome aside, it could have been more EPIC and bombastic, we're talking A Song of Ice and Fire here after all.

I found their method of exposition a little awkward at times; people happen to address each other by their names, not their title of kin. However, they did have to introduce an awful lot of characters and I think they managed this rather well. So far I've been most impressed by the child actors (apart from Sansa because that was a really stiff performance) and the Lannister boys.

Tyrion may be more handsome than he's in the books but he's perfectly cast, in my view. He delivered his lines with the proper amount of sarcasm and wit and I just really want to watch him make his way to the Wall and back, being entertaining and smart along the way. Can I just say how much I love Jaime? I was sceptical about their casting because, even though I loved Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in New Amsterdam, I couldn't quite see him as handsome, cruel and dashing Jaime. But yeah, he is Jaime. His delivery of the line "The things I do for love" was PERFECTION. NEED MORE OF HIM BEING FANTASTIC! My favourite Stark is Arya at the moment. She didn't have lots of lines but she's just so adorable. Anyone else having difficulties in telling apart Jon and Robb? They look so damn alike! Bran is a proper little monkey and his climbing looked breathtaking! He's also quite cute for a child.

I'm a bit meh about Sansa and Catelyn, to be honest, but they'll have lots of time to convince me of owning their characters.

I don't want to love Ned for obvious reasons but I think I have to. Sean Bean is just so wonderful. I wish they had decorated his bedroom though. He's Lord Stark of Winterfell, for Pete's sake, he and his wife don't sleep in a bare stone chamber.

Cersei, mwahahaha. Perfect. Her little snide remarks about the North being a 'lovely country' and so on, so very Cersei.

Viserys and Dany are very bleached and very twisted. Not sure whether I like that they stopped short of showing Viserys as the violently abusive brother that he is. He pretty much refrained from hurting her physically and 'only' abused her verbally. The physical abuse came later from someone I didn't expect: Khal Drogo. I don't know, I never saw their wedding night as rape, so this was a surprising change.

Now on to the most important characters: DIREWOLVES! The set-up was incredibly gross. How many close-ups on a dead, maggot-covered stag does one need to get the SYMBOLIC SIGNIFICANCE? I didn't need quite as many. But the pups were so adorable and fluffy and I think I squeed a bit when Jon grabbed Ghost. ♥

All in all, a very successful adaptation and pilot, in my view.
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Loved the first episode Reply with quote

I loved the episode. I watched it three times last night I'll post a more detailed review later, but I certainly think they got nearly everything right. It was as close to perfection as I could have hoped for!

ETA: I am never the person to judge a book against it's film/tv adaptation because I just have accepted the fact that the film/show is NOT the book and can never be. So minor changes do not bother me in the slightest. I am not looking for the books exact, if I was I'd just read the books or listen to the audiobooks. With that said, even though I am this type of viewer, I found very little wrong with the first episode. I thought it set the stage fantastically for the rest of the season, and now that the informative episode is out of the way, I look forward to the action and intrigue ones.

The things I loved:

WARNING: Contains spoilers not only from the rest of GoT but from book 3, A Storm of Swords. So noobs beware.

- The Stark children (with the exception of Sansa) all were exactly how I imagined them and the actors really seem to understand their characters. Arya and Bran particularly were fantastic.

- Harry Lloyd as Viserys was the unexpected star for me. He portrayed Viserys to near perfection. The creepy incestuous relationship as well as the desperate deposed king willing to sell his own flesh and blood for his throne. He effectively portrayed that character, and I think many people will cheer when he is killed.

- Speaking of cheering at character deaths, Joffrey has said nothing yet, but he certainly looks like the smug little prat that Joffrey is supposed to be. I can't wait to cheer at his death too.

- Tyrion and Jaime Lannister's characters were fantastic. I expected to like Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and he did not let me down. And I find myself liking Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime. He definitely captures the flippant, careless aspect of Jaime. Lets hope he can pull off bad*** fighting Jaime too. The "things I do for love" scene was amazing. I loved Cersei's panic and Jaime just be chill about it saying "I heard you the first time" and judging the situation and then just carelessly pushing Bran out the window without looking.

The only thing I didn't like:

- Sansa. Watching her scenes were a little painful. The scene with her, Cersei and Catelyn was probably my least favorite of the show. I hope Sophie Turner does a better job with Sansa in the later episodes
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: A hit! Reply with quote

Really enjoyed the first episode. I haven't been following much of the hype around the series so the opening scene just blew me away! As did everything that followed. The everything-I-loved list is too extensive but I reaallly loved the Stark children, the family dynamic was just so perfect, I loved Robb reacting to Arya throwing stuff at Sansa, it was just spot on. They're very believable as a family. I understand why they aged up some of the young characters but I think Jon looses something of his vulnerability, I suppose I imagined him as a bit more... dorky. None the less I thought he really pulled off all the nuances of the character and was generally awesome.

I did think there wasn't nearly enough of the puppies. I want one! In fact I want a spin-off show which is all about direwolf puppy adventures. So cute!
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Second Episode even better!! Reply with quote

I thought that tonight's episode was even better than the first one.

Joffrey was the perfect spoiled brat.

Cat did a fine job of hating Jon.

I loved when the direwolves came to the rescue protecting Bran and Arya. I felt really bad for Eddard when he had to kill Lady.

The actor did a perfect job with Tyrion. I think everyone will be glad when Viserys is killed.

It was a good episode.
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: When you play the Game of Thrones, You Win or You Die Reply with quote

I have to say, I liked this one better than the first one too. But they have both been amazing.

I think the reason I loved this one more was because some of the dialogue was DIRECTLY from the books. I felt like I could open my book and read along as certain parts. An amazing job.

Lady's death was as sad and traumatizing as it should have been. The acting of Emilia Clarke was an amazing improvement in this episode over the last, IMHO. And Michele Fairley as Catelyn was amazing. As expected Tyrion and Arya stole their scenes, I feel like this will be a recurring thing. Tyrion slapping Joffrey was probably my favorite scene, just for Joffrey's future sins. And I love the 'Needle' scene. Especially the big ol' bear hug at the end. Loved seeing the dynamics between Jon and Robb. Seeing everyone parting ways is horribly tragic knowing what is coming for many of them.

My only three problems, the first two are rather trivial, the third more serious. Arya being pronounced as "Ar-e-yuh" by Sansa. I know that is how the actors were saying it but I thought it was going to be dubbed over, it certainly was when Robert asked Arya's name in the first episode. Second, where was Ghost? He should have been following Jon when he parted for the Wall. And the third problem was the Catelyn/Cersei scene. Not because they are setting Cersei up to be sympathetic, because I think they definitely made her unlikeable when she insisted on Lady's execution, but because of the whole "fever took my first son" thing. Unless Cersei was lying to Catelyn. We all know that Cersei was supposed to kill the actual children of Robert's. So I'm not sure how this fits in.

But really, minor problems with an amazing episode.
Movie Buff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Second episode's a winner too. Reply with quote

I liked this episode more, too, because it was more fast-paced than the pilot and there was understandably less exposition to distract the viewer.

Dany was more emotional in this episode, which I liked. She was so stone-faced in the pilot. But now we saw her making baby steps on the way of becoming a woman. I liked her very much. The scenes with Drogo made me uncomfortable though, since they really seemed to exploit the voyeuristic angle of sexual violence.

I loooooved that we got to see more of the wolves and I'm somewhat relieved that we got Lady's death out of the way so quickly. It's just so horrible.

As to Cersei, I think she was lying through her teeth. There is no way she's sad about the death of a child from Robert.

OK, I've done enough "copy and paste" for tonight. To be continued. bleh
Annamite_en_Amérique

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: An excellent series! Reply with quote

It just gets better and better!

I'm very glad this site re-opened, I've been wanting to discuss this with other Song of Ice and Fire fans.

The casting and acting are excellent, the scenery magnificent, the costumes spectacular. I have a few little things I'm not quite happy with, but they're quite minor. Like, both Lord and Lady Stark are too old for their roles. But since Eddard Stark is being played by Sean Bean, I don't see anyone complaining too much. I guess they wanted his wife to match him in age, because she looks more in her fifties than in her thirties.

Jaime, Tyrion, Arya, Daenerys are perfect. The spoiled brats - Viserys, Joffrey, and that airhead Sansa act their parts so well you want to slap the two guys and shake the idiot girl.

All in all, excellent entertainment. Especially the way they always end an episode with a cliffhanger! Makes you count the days and hours until the next one!

Anyone around here a fan, too?

Công Hòa Viêt-Nam Muôn Nam!
Asteria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Loved the book, love the series Reply with quote

This is undoubtedly an excellent adaptation. The scene the other night, where Ned sees his daughter Arya as he's on the scaffold - that wasn't in the book, but it added an emotional dimension to the whole tragic scene.

Next week will be the season finale. One long year to wait to see "Clash of Kings". Very Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 1 of 42

Jump to: