AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Phan Thanh Gian, Patriot and forerunner of modern Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Phan Thanh Gian, Patriot and forerunner of modern Vietnam Reply with quote

PHAN THANH GIAN PATRIOTE ET PRÉCURSEUR DU VIETNAM MODERNE
Ses dernières années 1862-1867
Pierre Chanfreau, Phan Thi Minh Lê
ASIE

Mandarin obéissant de trois rois obstinément fermés au monde extérieur, Phan Thanh Gian ne cessa de les inciter à pratiquer une politique plus libérale et plus ouverte sur l’étranger, mais fut rarement écouté. La duplicité des actions de son souverain fit le jeu des Français qui en tirèrent prétexte pour s’emparer des trois provinces dont il avait la garde. Ce livre démontre que Phan Thanh Gian fut, bien qu’incompris à son époque, un précurseur des grands réformistes du XXe siècle. Une telle étude des dernières années de Phan Thanh Ghian constitue sans doute la meilleure introduction à l’histoire du Vietnam moderne, et à celle de sa colonisation par la France.

Found this book about Seed's ancestor that looks interesting. I wonder if the co-author, Phan thi Minh Lê, is one of Seed's cousins?

What the quoted paragraph says is "A Mandarin under the authority of three kings with minds obstinately closed to the outside world, PTG ceaselessly tried to get them to adopt a policy more liberal and more open to foreign countries, but was rarely listened to. The duplicity of his king's actions helped the French's schemes who took them as a pretext to seize the three provinces under his custody. This book demonstrates that PTG, though misunderstood in his era, was a forerunner of the 20th century's great reformers. This study of his last years probably is the best introduction to the history of modern Vietnam, and its colonization by France."
Le Saigonnais

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a rare book in Saigon documenting his travel to France and Spain in 1862. After reading it, I came away with a feeling that he wasn't a man of vision.

Incidentally, there was an incident between his delegation and the American ambassador to France in Paris before an audience with Napoleon III. The American ambassador didn't like to be put behind a bunch of strange-looking Asian men (which says a lot about American diplomatic skills or lack of it then and now) and made his displeasure known.

Bui` Vie^n., on the other hand, made his way to Washington around the same time and actually met Lincoln face to face. Lincoln, unfortunately, was preoccupied with too many Union losses to pay attention to anyone.
Le Saigonnais

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't characterize PTG as a reformist. He was just an old countryman who was very limited by his own confucian values.

Most reformists were French-educated Catholics who were unfortunately distrusted by the Nguyen Court. Nguyen truong To, Nguyen Lo Trach, Le Khang were all shunned by Thie^.u Tri., Tu*. +Du*'c and even Tha`nh Tha'i who was a French puppet.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reformist or no reformist Reply with quote

Le Saigonnais wrote:
I wouldn't characterize PTG as a reformist.

I have no opinion on the matter. I was just quoting that advertising blurb on the book on PTG that I found on line.
Seed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is my ancestor but my opinion of him is different from my family. No doubt he was an honest and ethical man. But he was limited by his Confucian education. His action (taking his own life) was honorable but in vain.

The correct course of action is to denounce the emperor as unfit to rule and seek an alternative government.

Proud member of the NRA, HEMA Alliance, and the Cato Institute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: