AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
VN Folk Tales
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyOnTheMoon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Ông Tơ Bà Nguyệt Reply with quote

Are you going to tell my story, Wildflower? The Old Man and the Lady on the Moon weaving their red silk cords to bind lovers together? confused

Very Happy
Ôm một mối mơ Music
Minisinoo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much to add but I'm enjoying these because they're all new to me. <G>
Wildflower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Glad to hear it Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:
I don't have much to add but I'm enjoying these because they're all new to me. <G>

Glad you're enjoying them, Minisinoo. What do you think of them? I mean, do they feel very "exotic" to you, compared to Western or Indian folk tales?

I did write an article about the universality of myth and folklore, how some themes are recurrent in all cultures - like the Cinderella story, which we find in Europe/America, in Africa and in Vietnam (though the Vietnamese tale is a lot more complex, with death, metamorphosis, rebirth and a revenge worthy of the Atreids).

Oh, in case no one went back to look and notice, I changed the illustration on The Little Colt. At first, I used a picture I found on the Web, then yesterday my husband unearthed a paper copy of the story as it was published years ago in the magazine I was writing for. The drawing had been made especially for the story, by a friend of ours who's an artist. To save you going back to the story, here it is:

Very Happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Sharing Folk Tales Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:

You know, it's funny, it's one of the reasons I became a translator. When I was a kid, growing up in France and in Vietnam - but, in VN, going to a French school and imbibing French culture - I knew the Western fairy tales (Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, the brothers Grimm tales, Charles Perrault, Hans Christian Andersen, etc.) and knew my French classmates knew them too. But my mother, my aunts or my nanny would tell me these Vietnamese or Chinese tales that the French didn't know, and I thought it was such a pity. It's something I wanted to share with them.

As I mentioned before, when I tried to do it in an essay in French class, it was a disaster, but mainly because the teacher was a narrow-minded idiot (pléonasme!) That's when I decided, early on, that I would some day translate those stories and share them. Well, I've begun to do so. Some of them have been published in magazines. A children's books outfit in NY expressed interest but asked that I rewrite them a bit (this was years ago, and I never got around to contacting them again) - Now that I have a bit more time, I might do just that. But posting them on-line is a start.

I posted my stories here and on CoS - where the two "eternal love" stories got a record number of views (over 1,000 when I last looked, over 3 times more than the nearest most-viewed story). The "animal reborn" stories weren't as successful, but still. I'm quite pleased with the response. very happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: The Golden Turtle, the Sword and the Lake Reply with quote

murat wrote:
I also was interested by the legend of Lê Loi and Lê Lai, the fight against the Mings and the famous Sword given Lê Loi by the Golden Turtle, that's supposed to be in the Hanoi Lake.

The above is copie from a post in the thread about the movie "Journey from the Fall". When I wrote "The Magic Bow" (see above), I had forgotten that the Golden Turtle had made further appearances in Vietnamese tales and legends. It's the one who's supposed to have given Emperor Lê Loi the magic sword that allowed him to vanquish the Ming invaders. Then he had to return the sword to the lake, henceforth called "Hô Hoàn Kiêm", or Lake of the Returned Sword.

One can't help making the parallel with the Arthurian legend and Excalibur, which I point out in my article on "The Universality of Myths and Legends". See Universality of Myth
Ylang-Ylang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: The River in the Sky Reply with quote

I think this story is not unique in VN folk tales.

I've just read a book about an imaginary country in a feudal period in Japan. There are echoes of many Japanese customs and traditions.
A desperate lover said something ... like this "I used to love the Star Festival when I was young. But now it makes me feel sad. For there are no magical bridges, not in real life."
The book title is "Tales of the Otori" by Lian Hearn.
I like the book very much. Smile

Have you (any of you) read it ?
It's a series of four books:
1. Across the nightingale floor (a: The sword of the warrior. b: Journey to Inuyama)
2. Grass for his pillow (a: Lord Fujiwara's treasures. b:The way through the snow)
3. Brillance of the moon (a: Battle for Maruyama. b: Scars of victory)
4. The harsh cry of the heron.
Sirius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Women in Folk Tales Reply with quote

Why are women in traditional folk tales (Vietnamese and other) such ninnies? Just waiting meekly to be rescued (Sleeping Beauty is the best example. Has to go prick her finger on that spindle and just sleep a hundred years Rolling Eyes )

No offense Wildflower, but your princess My-Chau sounds like a perfect airhead too. She knows her hubby is the son of the enemy, still she tells him where the magic bow is hidden. Being pursued by the enemy, she leaves a trail for him to follow. Sounds like poor thing didn't have much of a brain!!! bleh
RavenStar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Women in Folk Tales Reply with quote

Sirius wrote:
Why are women in traditional folk tales (Vietnamese and other) such ninnies? Just waiting meekly to be rescued (Sleeping Beauty is the best example. Has to go prick her finger on that spindle and just sleep a hundred years Rolling Eyes )

No offense Wildflower, but your princess My-Chau sounds like a perfect airhead too. She knows her hubby is the son of the enemy, still she tells him where the magic bow is hidden. Being pursued by the enemy, she leaves a trail for him to follow. Sounds like poor thing didn't have much of a brain!!! bleh

No offense Sirius but men in traditional folk tales are not all that bright either. super grin
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Men & Women in Folk Tales AND History Reply with quote

RavenStar wrote:
Sirius wrote:

No offense Sirius but men in traditional folk tales are not all that bright either. super grin

Oh we're all either idiots or cads, that's well known. wink WF has amply demonstrated it in her essay on the universality of myth. Especially in Western folk tales, men are invariably easy to manipulate or total cads out to take advantage of their womenfolk. Embarassed

There are a couple of exceptions, but they are few and far between. Very Sad

Now in real history, that's slightly different. Who rescued Princess Huyên-Trân from being burned alive on her Cham husband's funeral pyre? Who got that sword from the lake to free Vietnam? The Trung sisters beat the Chinese but were eventually beaten themselves. Lê Loi managed to save Vietnam. And Ngô Quyên, and later Nguyên Anh/Gia Long and the long line of warrior kings in-between. Hah! bleh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: