AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Book Review: Vietnamese-American writers - I
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: That generational thing Reply with quote

Xuân Phong wrote:
Mat Hi Cuoi wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised that those kids join these sites, too! super grin

Haha, "those kids"! This is funny coming from the youngest member of the site! wink It was not so long ago that you, Little One, was demanding lì xì from all the rest of us at Tết, remember? Very Happy

But I come in here so rarely nowadays. Maybe you're not the youngest member now? Ah, time does go by, doesn't it, Little One? bleh

And you're definitely not a kid any more. very happy

Yes, I believe we may have younger members now. At least one is still a student, she'd probably take the "youngest member" spot. Very Happy
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: The Sympathizer, by Viet Thanh Nguyen Reply with quote

One of my nephews called my attention to this book - winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize - and I'm glad he did. It's an excellent book mostly on the Vietnamese Diaspora, mainly the Vietnamese-Americans, American culture, memories of the War (for us it's neither the Vietnam War or the American War, it is just the War), and to boot it is a spy story. But mainly it is a reflection on the Vietnamese-American experience.

I heartily recommend it. I may write a review when I'm finished (I'm about two thirds of the way through).
Girl_on_Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Vietnamese-American writers Reply with quote

In the almost ten years since this thread was started (thanks for reviving it, Wildflower!) there has been a lot more Vietnamese-American writers published. Most wrote about the Fall of Saigon and the refugee experience, some of those books are very good indeed.

Have you done reading "The Sympathizer", Wildflower? I'd be interested in your opinion. I've heard of the book but am a bit reluctant to go out and buy it (or order it...) - I'm wary of books that get prizes, to tell you the truth. Usually they're deadly boring. sleep
Wildflower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: The Sympathizer Reply with quote

Girl_on_Fire wrote:
Have you done reading "The Sympathizer", Wildflower? I'd be interested in your opinion. I've heard of the book but am a bit reluctant to go out and buy it (or order it...) - I'm wary of books that get prizes, to tell you the truth. Usually they're deadly boring. sleep

Yes, I finished reading it, and I can assure you it's far from boring. It very much deserves the Pulitzer Prize.

I'll post a review when I have the time. It's long and complex, and I want to do it justice. That guy has a lot of talent. I'm going to order his next book, which is called "The Refugees" - it's not out yet, though. However, you can pre-order it on Amazon.
Asian_Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: The Refugees Reply with quote

Wildflower wrote:
I'll post a review when I have the time. It's long and complex, and I want to do it justice. That guy has a lot of talent. I'm going to order his next book, which is called "The Refugees" - it's not out yet, though. However, you can pre-order it on Amazon.

I just saw an ad on Amazon. It's out now. Very Happy
Mu*a Ru*ng

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: The Vietnam War from the South point of view Reply with quote

BC (Before the Crash), someone mentioned a couple of books and movies on that topic. The movie was "Ride the Thunder", there were a series of articles and books, including "Vietnam's Forgotten Army" and "Huê 1968".

Anyone read those books or saw the movie? I did the latter, and will at some point write a review in the Entertainment forum, but I haven't read the two books mentioned above. I did however read General Cao Van Viên's "The Final Collapse". Dry, arid reading, not recommended to anyone not interested in the nitty gritty of war strategy. A good book, but not for the casual reader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: