AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
What if Cedric Diggory didn't die?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: What if Cedric Diggory didn't die? Reply with quote

By chance I came across this fan fiction about what would have happened to Cedric Diggory if he hadn't been killed:

Finding himself

Cedric Romances

Nature and Destiny

Hufflepuff House

[ Addition from LadyDragon (to make finding the links easier - they're all in the initial post now):

Dulce et Decorum Est

Rong

Cedric fans, enjoy! very happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Hey, this is great! Reply with quote

I didn't have time to read the whole "Finding Himself" story - it's really book-length - I only read the table of contents and the synopsis of every chapter.

I'm definitely a Cedric fan and am delighted to see that he survived (I didn't quite find out how but who cares?) and pairing him with Hermione is a great idea.

I'm saving Cedric's Romances for another time.

Gosh, so much fan fic flying around out there, I had no idea!

Where will I find the time to read it all? confused Very Sad
Ylang-Ylang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: To @Vu Reply with quote

Are you writing a fiction on Cedric ? That will be great !
Thank you for the web sites.
vu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: To @Vu Reply with quote

kitty wrote:
Are you writing a fiction on Cedric ? That will be great !
Thank you for the web sites.

No, sorry, I'm not into writing fan fic, though I enjoy reading it. I certainly enjoy reading yours. Smile

You're welcome for the websites, I stumbled onto them quite by chance, and I'm glad I did. It's definitely a different "take" on OotP, just like your book is a different take from DH.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Finding Himself Reply with quote

First, many thanks to vu and Wildflower for mention of the story. :-)

Second, if you read, I hope you enjoy it. Speculation of that type appeals to me. I've done two different AU extended stories (one a novel, one a novella series) in which Cedric survived the maze, but they were really different (and not just in pairings). One was a radical AU, where I made some major changes. I'll take the chief elements from the HP series, but recombine them in different ways (and will probably delete some).

Finding Himself is "parallel canon," meaning that I tried to keep all the major plot elements in place, while adding Cedric back into the mix, to see what happened. The challenge became telling the story anew without just "repeating" it. How would events look through different eyes? What would Cedric add?

Anyway, I enjoyed doing it. Right now, I've started the sequel, which will address books 6 and 7. If FH was a coming-of-age novel, Dulce et decorum est is intended to be a war story. Smile
Viet Chick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: AU Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:
Speculation of that type appeals to me. I've done two different AU extended stories (one a novel, one a novella series)

Excuse an ignorant non-writer, but what is "AU"? confused

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Sorry. "AU" is a fanfic abbreviation for "alternate universe." Basically, a story in which events go differently than they do in canon. There are a variety of types:

simple AU -- usually changes a major event or two ... like Cedric living instead of dying. At least some of the events of canon are the same, maybe even the majority of the big ones.

radical AU -- Lots of changes so that canon is completely different. One of the best known of these in HP fanfiction is called "Stealing Harry" by Sam Vimes. In it, Sirius never went to Azkaban, and he and Remus (who are a pair) 'steal' Harry from the Dursleys when Harry's still a boy. Everything is different.

parallel canon -- (which is what FH is) ... only one event is changed, and the rest of the story runs as close to canon as possible.

elseworlds -- takes the characters and their personalities, removing them to a different "world" altogether and the style of the story follows the new world. E.g., The X-Men become characters in a Jane Austin novel. (I've actually read one that was surprisingly cute, but I don't now recall the title.)

crossovers -- a sort of AU where two different worlds meet, say HP meets Joss Wheedon's "Firefly." Victoria P. wrote "A Million Light Years From Home" where Sirius fell through the veil ... into another universe, and turns up as a dog who follows Kaylee home to Serenity. Sounds bizarre, but she makes it work.

Like anything else in fanfic, how well the AU works depends on the skill of the writer. Wink
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Cedric as gay? Reply with quote

Minisinoo, I saw your post in the CoS forum where you mention some hysterically funny fanfic "proving" that Cedric was gay? That sounds too much fun to miss.

Would you mind posting the link here? I'd love to read it!

We don't have to worry about the sensibilities of our younger members. The youngest one here is in her mid- to late 20's, and she doesn't seem to be interested in this forum anyway. wink
Minisinoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee, sure.

But there's a bit of a trick to it. Because of Live Journal's recent ... spazfest ... on a number of things, the original post was locked. People can no longer access it who aren't friended by Roz. I understand why, but it's really too bad. Sad

HOWEVER ... what you need to do is go onto Google. Type "Cedric Diggory is very, very gay." Roz's entry is the first that will come up. Then click on the CACHED option. You'll be able to see it that way. Wink

Don't drink anything while reading it. (G)

(Obviously, it's all tongue-in-cheek, but I about died of giggles.)
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Aaaargh! Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:
Hee, sure.

But there's a bit of a trick to it. Because of Live Journal's recent ... spazfest ... on a number of things, the original post was locked. People can no longer access it who aren't friended by Roz. I understand why, but it's really too bad. Sad

HOWEVER ... what you need to do is go onto Google. Type "Cedric Diggory is very, very gay." Roz's entry is the first that will come up. Then click on the CACHED option. You'll be able to see it that way. Wink

Don't drink anything while reading it. (G)

I went to Google, typed "Cedric Diggory gay" and sure enough that was the first entry that came on. The trouble is, I got this message:
You must be logged in to view this protected entry.

I don't really have time to fool around with it right now, but this made me curiouser than ever. Is there any restrictions on registering to that site, Minisinoo? Thanks anyway for the tip. Smile

P.S. Oops, I didn't try the "Cache" option. Let me have another go. Will report!
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: That was SUPER-DUPER! Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:

OK I tried Cache. Couldn't get past the first page, when I tried the second I got the same error message. But that was enough. I didn't only giggle, I laughed out loud, it's so clever and well done.

You're right about not drinking anything while reading it, you'd choke or sputter liquid all over yourself! super grin

Plus, I got all those photos of Cho that I hadn't seen before. What could be better than that? Thank you a million, Minisinoo! very happy
Minisinoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee! I'm glad you enjoyed!

And for the other pages, you didn't miss anything. Those are pages and pages of reader comments. It was a REALLY popular post, as you may imagine. Everybody and her mother recced it. There are some related threads (that are listed at the top), and you can't get to those via cache, alas. You'd have to try the same trick: type in the title, then read them via the cache. The whole series she did was just SCREAMINGLY funny, but I think I like that one best of all.

I wish she'd open it up again, or move it, but I understand why she can't. Ah well.

(Oh, I forgot ... since you like Cho, and as I don't have to worry about links to adult stuff here, I did a Cho/Cedric one-shot called "The Blind Leading the Blind". It's VERY adult, but I had fun writing it. :-) )
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Wouaooow!! Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:

(Oh, I forgot ... since you like Cho, and as I don't have to worry about links to adult stuff here, I did a Cho/Cedric one-shot called "The Blind Leading the Blind". It's VERY adult, but I had fun writing it. :-) )

Well, all I can say is that it's DEFINITELY NOT written by JKR! At least not in the "classic" HP series. Eek

I had fun reading it, and I'm sure Cho Lover will be beside himself! wink

P.S. Did the final "Ditto" come from the movie "Ghost"? My husband says it ever since we saw that movie on our honeymoon. bleh
Minisinoo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(snerk) No, not something you'd find in JKR's books. Wink

And the "ditto" ... it didn't come from anywhere I can name. I don't know where/when that first entered my stuff, but I find myself using it and have to remind myself NOT to use it at times. I think most writers wind up with "key phrases" and favorite words that start falling off the page if you're not careful. Laughing "Ditto" in reply to a sappy sentiment is one of mine. I think I started using it in order to avoid too much "mush" in dialogue, even for a touch of humor. But yeah, I don't remember borrowing it to echo anything deliberately.
Janine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: I'll have to read it to believe it! Reply with quote

Minisinoo wrote:
elseworlds -- takes the characters and their personalities, removing them to a different "world" altogether and the style of the story follows the new world. E.g., The X-Men become characters in a Jane Austin novel. (I've actually read one that was surprisingly cute, but I don't now recall the title.)

crossovers -- a sort of AU where two different worlds meet, say HP meets Joss Wheedon's "Firefly." Victoria P. wrote "A Million Light Years From Home" where Sirius fell through the veil ... into another universe, and turns up as a dog who follows Kaylee home to Serenity. Sounds bizarre, but she makes it work.

X-Men characters in a Jane Austen novel! Now that takes skill to make it work!! ten

Harry aboard Firefly... Now that's a thought!

I'll have to think hard where I want to move my Heralds out of Valdemar into... Hogwarts? bleh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: