AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Who started the Birther movement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnMask

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Who started the Birther movement? Reply with quote

The person starting the "Birther" legend was Hillary....

Very Happy

Admin's Note. I have split this thread. UnMask's original post was titled "Original Birther", which he posted in the Clown (i.e. Trump) thread. I suppose because the accusation to Hillary came from Trump. This obviously will start a different debate, hence the split.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Original Birther Reply with quote

Are you saying Hillary Clinton started the rumour that Obama wasn't born in the US? OK produce your proof she starred this rumour please.... Poor Obama he'll be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't... I always thought Hawaii was part of the US. I think you might find Unmask that it was someone in the Mad Hatters Tea Party that started the rumour years ago...
Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original Birther Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
The person starting the "Birther" legend was Hillary....

Very Happy

You've been listening to Trump and believed him, haven't you, UnMask? Trump and other rightwing nutcase sources. Or this is tongue-in-cheek, maybe? Just to rattle the rest of us?

Hillary responded to that slander:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/hillary-clinton-denies-starting-birther-theory

Hillary Clinton denies starting birther theory
09/23/15 03:57 PM—Updated 09/23/15 09:52 PM
By Alex Seitz-Wald

Hillary Clinton denied Wednesday having any part in sparking the rumor that President Barack Obama was not born in the United States, an accusation leveled this week by GOP front-runner Donald Trump, who has long questioned Obama’s birthplace.

Trump spent much of 2011 demanding to see Obama’s long-form birth certificate, and Tuesday night declined to say if he thought the president was born in the country during an appearance on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.” But Trump now blames Clinton for starting the conspiracy theory in the first place.

“She was the original birther,” Trump said while stumping in South Carolina Wednesday afternoon. “Hillary is a birther! By the way, don’t switch your votes to Hillary please. But Hillary is the one that started it. Check it out, 2008.”

RELATED: Trump rejects birther question from Colbert on ‘Late Show’

Trump had previously made the claim in a tweet to his 4.2 million followers, and on Fox News, where he said Clinton’s first presidential campaign was “where it began.”

In an interview Wednesday on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show,” a popular black radio program, Clinton called the claim “totally untrue.” “That is so ludicrous,” she told guest host Don Lemon of CNN when asked if Obama ever confronted her about it. “That first of all, it’s totally untrue. And secondly, the president and I have never had any kind of confrontation like that.”

She added that trump was “feeding prejudice and paranoia” and said people have to “stand against it.” “I have been blamed for nearly everything, that was a new one for me,” she added.

In the dying days of Clinton’s 2008 presidential bid, some her die-hard supporters were indeed the first to spread the rumor that Obama was not born in the U.S., and thus ineligible to serve as president, according to FactCheck.org and numerous media reports. But there’s no evidence the Clinton campaign itself was behind the conspiracy theories.

A source familiar with her 2008 campaign’s opposition research effort has told msnbc that the campaign looked into the claims, but found nothing to support them and denied that campaign circulated the questions about Obama’s eligibility to serve to supporters or reporters.

The campaign did, however, actively propagate the notion that Obama was somehow foreign.

Clinton’s top strategist, Mark Penn, circulated a memo in March 2007 on Obama’s “Lack of American Roots,” urging the campaign to highlight his “diverse, multicultural” roots and the fact that he is “not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and his values.” The memo was made public after the collapse of her campaign.

Clinton’s campaign also pushed out controversial sermons delivered by Obama’s former minister Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and Clinton told reporters “he would not have been my pastor.” In a “60 Minutes” interview, Clinton said there was no evidence Obama is a Muslim “as far as I know.”

But even if Clinton supporters first planted the initial seed of birtherism, it only took root because of the fertile soil the theory found in the hardcore anti-Obama right.

Before Trump took up the cause, birtherism spread thanks to conservatives like Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, infamous for his crackdowns on alleged illegal immigration, who detailed a team of investigators to look into whether Obama’s birth certificate was fabricated.

And it was validated thanks to Republican leaders, like the members of Congress who supported a so-called “birther bill” in the House, or the ones who said things like, “I don’t know whether Barack Obama was born in the United States … But I do know this, that in his heart, he’s not an American.” Or the state lawmakers who introduced their own “birther bills.”

The myth was perpetuated by tea party activists, as many as 30% of whom thought Obama was born in another country, according to a 2010 New York Times/CBS News poll.
Angelina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Trump rejects birther question from Colbert on ‘Late Show Reply with quote

I wasn't sure whether to post this iin the Trump thread or here but I guess here now that our Fearless Leader has split the "Clown Car" thread. super grin

Trump rejects birther question from Colbert on ‘Late Show’
By Adam Howard

An uncharacteristically subdued Donald Trump refused to say whether President Barack Obama was born in the United States on Tuesday night during his highly-anticipated first appearance alongside Stephen Colbert on CBS’ “The Late Show.”

Colbert pressed Trump to definitively say that Obama is a U.S. citizen, but Trump deflected the question (which the host described as a “big fat meatball” the candidate could “hit out of the park”), saying “I don’t talk about it anymore.”

Trump has been giving voice to erroneous rumors about the president’s origins for years. Trump’s past speculation about Obama’s place of birth has received renewed scrutiny after an attendee at a recent New Hampshire rally for the Republican candidate called the president a Muslim. Trump has been widely criticized for failing to condemn the man’s remarks. “This is the first time in my life that I have caused controversy by NOT saying something,” Trump tweeted after the incident. He added that doesn’t believe he is “morally obligated” to defend the president when he is attacked.

On Tuesday, the GOP front-runner gently absorbed Colbert’s mocking questions and assertions. Calling him a “ten billion dollar mouth,” the “Late Show” host had Trump sign a copy of his book “The Art of the Deal” for Energy Secretary Ernie Moniz (his second guest), tried to get him to apologize to anyone he’s ever offended (the candidate wouldn’t), and even engaged him in role-playing as a fictional president of Mexico negotiating payment for the massive border wall the candidate is proposing.

“We have to have a wall,” Trump insisted amid what appeared to be facetious cheers from the audience. “In that wall we’re going to have a wonderful, big fat door … a beautiful door where people can come into the country but they have to come in legally,” he added.

In what was a somewhat less tense encounter than Colbert’s previous night sit-down with Trump’s GOP rival Sen. Ted Cruz (who the real estate mogul praised as a “good man”), the host acknowledged playing the role an “over-the-top conservative” but “not as long as you did.”

Colbert joked earlier in the night that he could now tell his grandchildren someday that he interviewed “the last president of the United States.”

The interview concluded with a game where Colbert prompted Trump to guess whether a quote came from him or the host’s faux conservative alter ego from his former Comedy Central series “The Colbert Report”. Trump accurately attributed nearly every line, except for the last one, which wound up being a remark made by an infamous criminal, Charles Manson.
Angelina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Donald Trump responds to birther criticism Reply with quote

http://www.msnbc.com/up-with-steve-kornacki/watch/donald-trump-responds-to-birther-criticism-528554563981
UnMask

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Die Hard Supporters Reply with quote

Die-hard supporters of Clinton were the first to spread the rumor that Obama was not born in the US.

That there is no evidence that the Clinton campaign was behind the allegations....
So what? The origins of the accusations were from the Democrats themselves, and Trump is right. Trump's Birther problem is that he believes Democrats. You might not want to believe them. Embarassed
Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Oh, not again!!! Reply with quote

Isn't it enough that this idiot runs for Senate, now he makes even a bigger fool of himself by reviving this Birther theory! Rolling Eyes

Arpaio: Congress Should Examine Presidents’ Birth Docs

Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who announced this week he is running for U.S. Senate in Arizona, repeated the false claim that former President Barack Obama’s birth certificate is a “forgery document,” and said Congress should pass legislation requiring a full background check of presidential candidates’ birth certificates. Arpaio made the remarks in an interview with WABC. President Donald Trump pardoned Arpaio last year after he was convicted of criminal contempt of court.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/368440-arpaio-congress-should-examine-presidential-birth-certificates?__twitter_impression=true&via=newsletter&source=CSAMedition
UnMask

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Roy Moore again. Reply with quote

One's head spins that after Roy Moore someone like Sheriff Arpaio shows up.

is the Republican Party in chaos? Rolling Eyes
Angelina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Party in chaos? Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
Is the Republican Party in chaos? Rolling Eyes

I take it this is a rhetorical question? bleh
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Chaos? Reply with quote

UnMask wrote:
Is the Republican Party in chaos? Rolling Eyes

It's certainly in disarray, and in a quandary, about how to respond to Trump without alienating either Trump's base or its own constituents.

Mid-term elections, here we come! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: