AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Sexual Misconduct in Politix
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkpot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Sexual Misconduct in Politix Reply with quote

The thread(s) on sexual harassment have disappeared in the upheaval of that crash or hacking or whatever it was that brought AV down for several days last week, so I'm starting a new one.

The Franken Case

This one with the mildest of the sexual harassment cases that have come out. Frankly, I don't think Franken should have resigned, the Dems shouldn't have forced him to. What he did was pretty mild, not anything like rape or child molestation, and had nothing to do with his qualities as a politician. He's been a pretty good senator. I mean, being womanizers and adulterers (worse than what Franken is accused of) didn't keep JFK or Clinton from being good presidents. Now it seems the Dems have second thoughts. Personally, I hope Franken takes his resignation back, or rather doesn't go ahead, since he said he'd resign "in the coming weeks" but hasn't done so yet.

Dem Senators Regret Calling for Franken’s Exit
Several lawmakers told Politico they felt rushed into a decision.

Several U.S. senators now want to see Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) reverse his decision to resign amid multiple groping allegations, Politico reported Monday morning. “Two of the senators who issued resignation calls told Politico they felt rushed to weigh in, as they were focused on hearings and other meetings and pressure on Franken mounted.” Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), who was among the few Democratic senators to resist ever calling for Franken’s resignation, told Politico that his colleague’s dramatic ouster by party leaders was “The most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen done to a human being—and then have enough guts to sit on the floor, watch him give his speech and go over and hug him? That’s hypocrisy at the highest level I’ve ever seen in my life. Made me sick.” Additionally, the D.C. outlet reported, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), who did call for Franken’s exit, has privately expressed regret to the senator. “In retrospect, I think we acted too fast,” another senator, who wished to remain anonymous, explained to Politico.

Franken urged to reverse his resignation
The demands from Democrats that he step down were 'the most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen done to a human being,' Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) says.
By EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE

Read article here:
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/18/manchin-franken-senate-resign-300843

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Al Franken - A look backwards Reply with quote

Al Franken - Discusses Mueller Closing In On Kushner & Sessions

https://youtu.be/O-413WC4iVY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Comparing Al Franken and Roy Moore - GOP Hypocrisy Reply with quote

Al Franken RESIGNS Over Harassment Allegations, Republicans Flip-Flop
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) says that Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) should resign over sexual misconduct allegations, but flip-flops over whether he would seat Roy Moore, Republican candidate for US senator from Alabama, who has also been accused of a number of sexual improprieties

This video was posted on December 7.

https://youtu.be/shjJRZH52yE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: The wind turning... Reply with quote

This was posted December 10:

Did Al Franken Make A Mistake?
Should Al Franken have resigned? Did the Democrats shoot themselves in the foot?

https://youtu.be/ZYzGHQbmloE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: And now today... Reply with quote

This is from Fox News, as is obvious. wink

Al Franken urged not to resign by Democrats

https://youtu.be/ADEzKocBjIU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Al Franken rips Trump in farewell speech to Senate Reply with quote

Al Franken rips Trump in farewell speech to Senate
Dylan Stableford

Outgoing Sen. Al Franken used his final speech as a U.S. senator to thank family, staff and Democratic colleagues — and to excoriate President Trump.

Over the course of a 40-minute speech on the Senate floor on Thursday, the Minnesota Democrat, who is stepping down next month following allegations of inappropriate touching made by multiple women, tore into Trump and Republicans over their “attacks” on voting rights, LGBT rights, science, health care and — most recently — the middle class.

“During his inaugural address, President Trump vowed that ‘the forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer,’” Franken said. “But the Republican tax bill represents a slap in the face to those forgotten men and women. I guess the president forgot about them.”

Franken decried what he described as the repeated “lies” of the Trump administration, including the president’s baseless claim that millions of people voted illegally in the 2016 election.

“It’s all based on a lie — and not a lie President Trump came up with,” Franken said. “Right-wing conservatives have been raising a false alarm about so-called voter fraud for years despite the fact that no credible evidence has ever been [found] demonstrating that it is a real problem.”

The same, Franken said, goes for the administration’s policies affecting the LGBT community.

“Lurking behind these policies are lies,” he said. “Lies that the advocates of LGBT rights want to trample on people’s religious freedom. The lie that families led by a gay or lesbian couple don’t provide a safe environment for children. The lie that allowing transgender people to use the appropriate bathroom opens the door to sexual assault. President Trump didn’t invent these lies. But he and his administration proudly repeat them.”

Franken also lamented Trump’s “attacks on science,” citing a recent Washington Post report that the Trump administration had prohibited the Centers for Disease Control from using such terms as “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

“We now have enough evidence to conclude that climate change is real and it is man-made and it is a threat to our nation’s security and an existential threat to the planet,” Franken said. “President Trump didn’t launch the war on science, but now he’s leading the charge.”

Franken, who is stepping down on Jan. 2, praised his replacement, Minnesota Lt. Gov. Tina Smith, as a worthy successor.

“I have no doubt Sen. Smith will serve Minnesotans and all Americans well,” Franken said.

Franken did not mention the allegations of sexual misconduct that led to his resignation. In a speech on the Senate floor announcing his intention to step down earlier this month, Franken insisted that some of the claims were not true and others he remembered differently.

“There is some irony that I am leaving while a man who bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who preyed on young girls runs for Senate with the full support of his party,” Franken said then, referencing Trump and Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore.

He concluded Thursday’s speech on a positive note.

“Politics is about the improvement of people’s lives,” Franken said. “The American people know that to be true. And they fill me with hope for our future.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/al-franken-rips-trump-farewell-speech-senate-193443345.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Did Trump grope Romney's wife? Reply with quote

Trump Caught on Video Sexually Assaulting Mitt Romney's Wife?
-A TDPS viewer sends us 2012 footage that calls into question whether Donald Trump groped Ann Romney, Mitt Romney's wife

https://youtu.be/Izv7XTY1eiU

Doan_Du
Herald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Al Franken Says Goodbye to Minnesota Reply with quote

Watch Al Franken Say Goodbye to Minnesota Ahead of Resignation as Most Voters Think He Should Stay
By Christina Zhao

Senator Al Franken gave a heartfelt speech in Minnesota on Thursday evening, in his first appearance since announcing his resignation, despite voters wanting him to stay.

Franken thanked his supporters, staff and family, before emotionally thanking his wife for her loyalty. Throughout his speech, Franken referred again and again to his legislative accomplishments, which was met with overwhelming applause from the audience.

"Serving the people of Minnesota in the U.S. Senate has been the honor of my life. I am here tonight to say thank you,” Franklin said in Minneapolis. "I may be leaving the Senate but I'm not giving up my voice."

Earlier this month, the Democratic Senate announced his plans to resign over mounting allegations of sexual misconduct.

A recent Public Polling survey found that a majority of Minnesota voters don’t want Franken to resign, with 71% of Democratic voters opposing his departure.

During his speech, many supporters took to social media to share their support for the politician.

“I am a lifelong Democrat but I think the Dems threw you under the bus. Why didn't they investigate? Anyway, thank you for working so hard for all of these years and being a great advocate for women,” Dorri Olds wrote in the comments section of the live streamed speech.

Read more:
http://www.newsweek.com/al-franken-speech-minnesota-resignation-emotional-voters-say-stay-763883
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Al Franken Reply with quote

I reckon there are quite a few politicians from all parties that have done equally distasteful things to the opposite things as Franken yet we don’t see them resigning do we.... Truly a man of principle since he has apologised and is willing to have the matter investigated compared to the others it seems. Also over 70% of his electorate want him to stay so that does say something doesn’t it since he must have been an excellent representative to have that happen... They are willing to forgive him too so I hope those he has offended will too....
Angelina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Al Franken Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Also over 70% of his electorate want him to stay so that does say something doesn’t it since he must have been an excellent representative to have that happen...

He is indeed a very good senator. The Dems should never have thrown him under the bus to try and get the high moral ground. I hope he reconsiders and takes back his resignation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Politix All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: