AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Protecting Your Privacy on the Internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Internaute

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Protecting Your Privacy on the Internet Reply with quote

Protecting Your Digital Life in 8 Easy Steps

Read more:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/technology/personaltech/encryption-privacy.html
Internaute

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: VPN to protect your privacy Reply with quote

[Copied from an ad sponsored by the Daily Beast]

As we have seen recently with Washington's efforts to track our online activities, you can never be too careful with your Internet privacy. Add in leaky software, high-profile hackers, and government spies and there are more threats to your online security than you can count. That's why it is a good idea to employ a reputable VPN like the Private Internet Access VPN, so you can surf the web anonymously and without restrictions. While there are other (often free) VPNs have proven to be after their own questionable agendas, Private Internet Access has earned itself high marks across the web. This high-rated solution (4.5/5 stars, PC Magazine) connects instantly and easily and protects your identity with several layers of privacy. It has a high-level encryption that blocks Internet Service Providers from accessing and selling your browsing history. An additional benefit is that Private Internet Access actually cloaks your IP address so you can access the entire Internet from anywhere without being limited by geographic restrictions. Best of all, it stops traffic with a kill switch if the VPN connection is unexpectedly terminated—so you're never left exposed to the nefarious elements. This VPN comes with a two-year subscription and works on five devices simultaneously. It can also be used on any network, including public Wi-Fi. While Private Internet Access VPN normally costs $166, you can get it for just $59.95, a savings of 63 percent.
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: VPN Reply with quote

I use a VPN service to change my IP when I need to (for example when I'm overseas and want to watch some videos that are blocked outside the US) - I'm not sure this protects me from Internet "spying" or "monitoring", I'll have to investigate.

I do know that when I use µTorrent to download movies from the Net, there are always several ads for VPN services, so that nobody can know what I'm doing on the Net, but I've never explored them. Maybe I should...
Internaute

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: About Internet Identity Theft Reply with quote

The New iPhone X Could Help Identity Thieves Steal Your Face
BY Merritt Baer
By making facial recognition a new industry standard, Apple could be opening the door to a new kind of identity theft—and one only high-end phones will be able to stop.

Apple has announced that it plans to replace previous iPhone login credentials with facial recognition technology to log into the iPhone and to access Apple Pay.

This should prompt some privacy and security concerns, but probably not the ones you’re thinking. It’s not the TSA or the Deep State who are most likely to abuse it.

The depth and portability of current facial recognition authentication may be a new bridge into consumer app insecurity, like online banking apps and devices that hook up to the Internet of Things.

Basically, with a newer facial recognition method about to become an industry standard after Tuesday’s Apple event, identity theft could take on whole a new face. And, down the line, it’ll make identity theft yet another thing only those with disposable income can afford to stop.

Feature-Based Replacing Image-Based Facial Recognition

There are two general technologies that perform facial recognition: feature-based and image-based. Image-based is old school, but it’s everywhere, like the facial image recognition tech you see at a mall or bank.

At least as far back as 2001, and seemingly accelerated by concerns about terrorism post-9/11, the use of image-based facial recognition to identify individuals became popular, ostensibly to weed out terrorists and criminals. Today, approximately half of Americans are in an image-based police face recognition database.

Read more:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/apples-new-iphone-x-could-help-identity-thieves-steal-your-face?via=newsletter&source=DDMorning
Internaute

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Cops May Be Able to Force Open Your iPhone X Reply with quote

Cops May Be Able to Force Open Your iPhone X Using FaceID
BY Ben Collins
Civil-rights group warns that cops will likely be able to force you to unlock your $999 phone and expose all of your secrets unless you switch off FaceID.

The only way to be certain cops won’t receive instant access to everything on your new iPhone X is to turn off its flashiest new feature, according to the ACLU.

Apple introduced its new FaceID feature, which allows its new $999 phone to be unlocked just by the sight of your face.

It could well be used to the benefit of police in possession of a locked iPhone, since court cases over the past several years have ruled that cops can force citizens to use their thumbprints to unlock their iPhones—but not compel them to hand over their iPhone passwords.

"Under the current doctrine, it’s most likely not going to be a Fifth Amendment problem for police to [use your face to unlock your iPhone],” said Brett Kaufman, a staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union who works on national-security issues.

“I would hesitate to say it’s legal, but it wouldn’t violate your self-incrimination right under the current doctrine.”

Kaufman said the “real issue is a Fifth Amendment one,” since citizens can’t be compelled to be a witness against themselves. Courts have ruled in cases dating back to 2014 that thumbprints, which are likely considered to be in the same biometric data category as faces, are more of an act of identification than an act of testimony.

“Most of the cases so far have said when the government is forcing you to use a thumbprint, that is not testimonial,” said Kaufman. “They’ve largely ruled that your thumbprint doesn’t communicate any testimony to the government.”

Read more:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cops-are-likely-to-be-able-to-force-open-your-iphone-x-using-faceid?via=newsletter&source=DDMorning
murat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: How the CIA made Google – INSURGE intelligence – Medium Reply with quote

How the CIA made Google – INSURGE intelligence – Medium

Do not be misled: in particular yahoo, hotmail, etc. are also working and sharing data/communications with the USA spy agencies.... MM

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/how-the-cia-made-google-e836451a959e

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/why-google-made-the-nsa-2a80584c9c1

YouTube "Tweaks" Its Search Algos After Las Vegas Conspiracy Theories Go Viral
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-06/youtube-tweaks-its-search-algos-after-las-vegas-conspiracy-theories-go-viral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: