AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
RIP Michèle Morgan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annamite_en_France

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: RIP Michèle Morgan Reply with quote

Michèle Morgan, lustrous French actress of ‘Port of Shadows,’ dies at 96

Michèle Morgan, a French movie actress who starred in the moody masterpiece “Port of Shadows” and who, during a brief Hollywood sojourn, helped introduce Frank Sinatra to film audiences in his first big role, died Dec. 20. She was 96.

French President François Hollande announced the death, calling her “an elegance, a grace, a legend that left a mark on many generations. . . . The greatest directors called upon her, and she was part of masterpieces that still live in everyone’s memories.” No other details were provided.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/michele-morgan-lustrous-french-actress-of-port-of-shadows-dies-at-96/2016/12/20/b5e66d78-c6f1-11e6-bf4b-2c064d32a4bf_story.html?utm_term=.69bcf622a21b

One of the most beautiful French actresses of the 40's and 50's!

https://youtu.be/snY3L7RYOOs

Annamite_en_France

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Casablanca Missed Reply with quote

I didn't know this:

Quote:
She was a leading contender for the Ingrid Bergman role in “Casablanca” (1942), but RKO demanded a huge loan-out fee that the rival Warner Bros. would not meet. Instead she appeared in “Higher and Higher” (1943), a musical with Sinatra in which she played a maid impersonating a debutante.

Now no one can think of anyone else but Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca. But imagining Michèle Morgan in the role is... intriguing.

Here with Gérard Philipe in Les grandes manoeuvres (a great movie!)

Les grandes manoeuvres
murat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Michèle Morgan Reply with quote

My father knew her well and he has photographed her many times in his parisian studio . I gave her a copy of the book 'Studio Vauclair "and she sent me a very touching letter of thanks . My father was very friendly with her husband Henri Vidal.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Michèle Morgan Reply with quote

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I've never heard of her before this or seen any of her movies.. I think she would have been good in Casablanca now that I have investigated her on the internet.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Michèle Morgan Reply with quote

Annamite_en_France wrote:
Michèle Morgan, a French movie actress who starred in the moody masterpiece “Port of Shadows” and who, during a brief Hollywood sojourn, helped introduce Frank Sinatra to film audiences in his first big role, died Dec. 20.

Isn't it ironic that she helped introduce Frank Sinatra, and now Sinatra is a world-wide known name but outside of France it seems very few people have heard of Michèle Morgan... Even Inkling, who's quite knowledgeable in movies...

But she was a star before the media went really international. It was also before my and Inkling's time. I know Michèle Morgan because I'm French and she was a really big star there, along with her husband Henri Vidal. Well, one of her husbands. I remember her mostly in "Les grandes manoeuvres". I don't think I ever saw "Quai des Brumes" (I think that's what they translated as "Port of Shadows").

Mike Marshall, her son by William Marshall, is very handsome too, and her grand-daughters have inherited her beauty. But I don't think any of the grand-daughters ever went into show business. Mike Marshall is listed in Wikipedia as "a French-American actor" - I think I may have seen a movie or two by him but I can't remember now. And he, too, died anyway...
Zack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Michèle Morgan Reply with quote

Quote:
She was a leading contender for the Ingrid Bergman role in “Casablanca” (1942), but RKO demanded a huge loan-out fee that the rival Warner Bros. would not meet. Instead she appeared in “Higher and Higher” (1943), a musical with Sinatra in which she played a maid impersonating a debutante.

Which latter film disappeared without a trace. I'd never heard of it.

If she had landed that Casablanca role, she'd have become an international star. Ingrid Bergman would have made it even without Casablanca, methinks. Ah well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: