AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Nicholas Flamel was NOT a sorcerer...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkling7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Nicholas Flamel was NOT a sorcerer... Reply with quote

Talking to several friend who were not from the US I found they were all pissedmoff that Nicholas Flamel was not a sorcerer butnpotrayed I the US books as one and they were annoyed that JK allowed the title to be changed.... Nicholas FLamel certainly was not a sorcerer or that much of a philosopher although there was a philosophers stone involved but involved alchemy not sorcery really... Why did the US have to be so petty? Not the first time they have actually... Were they upset because none of their current writers wrote a series of books that were so popular? No other english speaking countries wanted to change her title and we all thought she was weak for allowing the chance in title to happen and for doing so... To us it will always be the Philosopher's Stone as JK actually intended it to be....

OK rant over... And from the rest of us The US can get over itself and accept writer's wishes without any pressure not to publish for once....
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nicholas Flamel was NOT a sorcerer... Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Talking to several friend who were not from the US I found they were all pissedmoff that Nicholas Flamel was not a sorcerer butnpotrayed I the US books as one and they were annoyed that JK allowed the title to be changed.... Nicholas FLamel certainly was not a sorcerer or that much of a philosopher although there was a philosophers stone involved but involved alchemy not sorcery really...

Of course he wasn't. The "Philosophher's Stone" (la pierre philosophale in French) is the stone that transformed base metal into gold. The book was called "HP and the Philosopher's Stone" at first, but JKR and others realized that Americans would have no idea what the philosopher's stone was, but did know (hopefully) what a sorcerer was, as simple as that.

And yes, it was alchemy, not sorcery. Wanna ask the average American kid the difference? Good luck!!

No need to rant about it. Just put it off to Americans' ignorance... super grin
inkling7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Can they be that ignorant? Reply with quote

Surely the young kids in the US could have been told or investigated what it was though... They can't all be that ignorant? Hmm you're right - now I remember those videos we were posting where the teenagers and adults couldn't answer the simplest questions...lol super grin
inkpot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Can they be that ignorant? Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Surely the young kids in the US could have been told or investigated what it was though... They can't all be that ignorant? Hmm you're right - now I remember those videos we were posting where the teenagers and adults couldn't answer the simplest questions...lol super grin

Yes they can!!! Be that ignorant, I mean.

Sad to say but come on, Inkling! If some uni students don't know what happened in 1776 because "How should I know, I'm not a history major", how do you want young kids to know about the philosopher's stone? Or have the curiosity and simple will to look it up? Rolling Eyes

As you yourself noted - Look again at all the "Jay Walk" videos. They don't know the most basic things (adults and late teens alike). Some of them think the US won the Vietnam War. They can't tell equinox from solstice, don't even know the words. Alchemy and the philosopher's stone are not exactly household words. At least not the average 21st century household. Pale sigh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Guilty as charged! Reply with quote

And to think I was guilty of putting up some of those posts showing the ignorance of those US citizens... I should have remembered... super grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: