AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
How to Steal a Song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Music and Poetry House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: How to Steal a Song Reply with quote

This is Aretha Franklin asserting ownership of "Natural Woman" from songwriter Carole King.

http://slippedisc.com/2015/12/how-to-steal-a-song/
Herald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Stealing Songs Reply with quote

Didn't I read somewhere that UnMask was concerned about his songs being stolen, so he posts them in password-protected mode and in restricted access forums? bleh
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Copyright Reply with quote

Can you copyright a song? But then you have to get in fast I suppose and it is rather like a book and how many times has JK Rowling had to defend her Harry Potter books......
Wildflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Copyright Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
Can you copyright a song? But then you have to get in fast I suppose and it is rather like a book and how many times has JK Rowling had to defend her Harry Potter books......

Yes of course you can copyright a song. All of UnMask's songs are copyrighted (you can see the © sign after his name in all the posts).

Then if all goes as it should be, every time someone sings one of your songs, or it is played over the radio or whatever, you get money out of it.

A friend of my husband Bill's once wrote a very successful song (I can't remember the title) which got played a lot, he got a small fortune out of it.

But still I guess it's impossible to monitor and check every time someone copies it and sings it without permission. That's why in his "Sampler" on Vimeo, UnMask only sang parts of each song, and why all the videos are posted in Private, password-protected mode.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Stealing songs Reply with quote

I actually meant to say if you have written a song you have to get in fast for copyright but that doesn't mean to say that someone will not come in as say you have stolen pat of the the song e.g. a bit of the tune or a line in the song as JK Rowling found out with Weird Sisters and Muggles et in her books and films.... I am especially thinking here of a short bit of music in an Aussie song by Men At Work in the Downunder Song where they said that a short musical piece in the song on a flute was Kookaburra Sings in the Old Gum Tree was used. All the people I know who listened to the song couldn't see a 100% similarity and many couldn't see it as part of the song we sang as children at all but they lost in court so if your tune or words are similar and someone wants to be petty enough to sue then beware....
UnMask

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Copyright Reply with quote

I am having a great time writing songs, and my partner, who has 50 years of experience, keeps our melodies from being exact copies of others.

You can't get into trouble taking part of a melody, you have to take the entire thing. Lyrics have the same set of rules.

In my song, "Chocoholic", the phrase- "I don't care about calories, whoa, or any thing like that!"
You would be able to sing along with, as the notes are familiar to rock and roll fans.

Oh, I've incorporated our music business.... I'm in with both feet! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Music and Poetry House All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: