AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Child Cruelty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjcuk13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Child Cruelty Reply with quote

I have mentioned this on CoS but not sure what happened to it. If this is in the wrong place or there is already a thread on this please move it.

Child cruelty in the potter universe is out of control. A few points:

1. Every one on Privet Drive knows everyone else's business they know where Harry goes to school (sort of) they know he is no good but no one seams to notice when he disappears for weeks at a time to be locked in a Cupboard, this is said that it happened more than once and after the incident with the snake at the zoo this is wrote.

Quote:
this earned Harry his longest ever stay in the cupboard. The school holidays had started when he was allowed back out

So he was locked up for a large amount of time while missing school and no one from the school or from any child protection agency came over to check? More importantly what did they tell the neighbours because they would have noticed that Harry was not going in or out of the house.

2. Hermione does not spend any time with her parents. The fact is that in most books Hermione turns up to the Weasleys/Grimold Place before Harry in most cases. Even when Harry only have to spend two weeks at Privet Drive. Hermione it at the Weasleys before he turns up.
Then we come to the Christmas holidays, in all seven books Hermione goes home to her parent twice (SS and HBP) and on one of them she comes back early. How do her parent not mind this? She is at boarding school for at least 9/10 months of the year and they don't even want to see her the few times they can?

I know if this was my parents I would have to spend at least have with them probably a lot more than half.

Anyway thoughts, feeling and ridicule please bring them to the front.

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Hedwig

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Child cruelty in HP Reply with quote

I agree with you concerning Harry. The neighbours must have known how badly he was treated, and someone should have done or said something, reported the Dursleys to Social Services or something. Mrs. Figgs certainly knew but I guess that she didn't want to do or say anything so as not to blow her cover. In fact, at first, Harry thought she was, if not as bad as the Dursleys, at least not the kindest or most comforting person he was left with.

Concerning Hermione's parents, I wouldn't call that "child cruelty". At worst neglect, but maybe not even that. Maybe Hermione told them she preferred to stay with friends and fellow wizards and witches. Maybe they didn't like it too much but didn't want to keep her from doing what she wanted to do? I know a lot of kids who'd rather spend their holidays anywhere but with their parents. The parents are sometimes hurt by it but don't want to fight it, they just want their child happy. Plus, plot-wise, Hermione had to be where the action was, and it certainly wasn't with her Muggle parents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Child cruelty in HP Reply with quote

I will agree its not really child cruelty when it comes to Hermione but I do find it incredibly strange. However yes she does need to be where the plot was going on.

Something else I find strange with the Weasley kids (maybe this thread should have its name changed Smile).
Why do non of them have friends over in the holidays? Yet Ron is allowed two. Just taking the kids that are at school:

Percy- I can see why he doesn't have any friends that would. Want to come over but why not invite Penelope over during GoF before or after the cup.

Fred and George- yes they are twins and spend all their time together however when they are at school they normally have at least one other person with them why doesn't anyone even visit in the holidays.

Ginny- she is a popular girl at school even not counting all her boyfriends, again they are never there in the holidays or even visit.

Even the other two Bill and Charlie when we do get to see them at the wedding they are alone as both have jobs and we even get told that Charlie has the type of friend that will smuggle a dragon out of one country and into another for him yet no one comes to the wedding with him?

Find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stacey.corner.37 please send me a message first so I know it is you Smile

Proud to be a
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Child cruelty in HP Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
I will agree its not really child cruelty when it comes to Hermione but I do find it incredibly strange. However yes she does need to be where the plot was going on.

Something else I find strange with the Weasley kids (maybe this thread should have its name changed Smile).
Why do non of them have friends over in the holidays? Yet Ron is allowed two. Just taking the kids that are at school

IMO this is just logistics. There are enough characters and subplots in HP already, we don't need to have the names of all the Weasley kids' friends to clutter up everything. We do learn about Percy's girlfriend Penelope Clearwater, and we know the twins are close friends with Lee Jordan. But JKR couldn't clutter the Burrows with all those extra houseguests, both because of crowding, and also to avoid complicating the plot.

I don't see anything nefarious, certainly nowhere anything qualifying as "child cruelty" in that.
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
The last witch or wizard standing will be from that House.
THESE are the values of Hufflepuff.
From Minisinoo's "Hufflepuff House"
RavenStar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Child cruelty in HP Reply with quote

Proud Puff wrote:
sjcuk13 wrote:
Why do non of them have friends over in the holidays? Yet Ron is allowed two. Just taking the kids that are at school

IMO this is just logistics. There are enough characters and subplots in HP already, we don't need to have the names of all the Weasley kids' friends to clutter up everything.

Agreement

Adding too many characters would be unmanageable. If the twins' friends are added, you'd have to add Ginny's friends also, and Percy's when he was still at Hogwarts. The Burrows would be overcrowded to an impossible degree, even for a Wizarding family.
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Summer holidays Reply with quote

Since the summer holidays are so long maybe Hermione only spent the last week or so with the Weasley family and was friends with Ginny as well. Also i l seem to remember as a teenager my friends and I didn't really want to spend a lot of time with parents and Hermione being an only child was probably not much different.... super grin
Strawberry07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Child cruelty in HP Reply with quote

sjcuk13 wrote:
Percy- I can see why he doesn't have any friends that would. Want to come over but why not invite Penelope over during GoF before or after the cup.

I agree with ProudPuff on the logistics being part of the reason. But when it comes to Percy, he did try to keep his relationship with Penelope a secret for about a year. I can imagine that he wouldn't want to be teased by the twins in front of her, at home, or teased about her visiting, even after everyone knew he had a girlfriend.

As for the cupboard - it was strange that nobody acted on his absence. Unless the Dursleys claimed he was sick. Harry is a month younger than Dudley, according to Petunia, so Dudley's birthday is in late June. And in the UK, summer holidays start in about mid-July. Perhaps they told the school, and the neighbours, that Harry had chickenpox. That would cover the approximately two-week absence from school.

Or, perhaps they let Harry out to go to school and locked him in again immediately after school, to keep up appearances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: