AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Allright, so he's the hero of the series and all that.

But he very often gets on my nerves something fierce. His temper tantrums in OotP, the way he shut himself up after Cedric's death and woudn't share his grief with Cho who was in need of support in the same matter, his refusal to listen to reason (meaning Hermione's very sound reasoning) after he has that "vision" of Sirius having been caught by Voldemort, his "saving-people" tendencies, his just forgetting that Sirius gave him the mirror and risking his and his friends' safety and lives, first sneaking into Umbridge's office, then tearing off to the Ministry, his tendency to act (or talk) before thinking... He was lovable as a kid, but as a teenager - I guess it comes with the territory - and then when he realizes he's the "Chosen One" - he's just unsufferable.

Anyone else feels this way?

And now, probably, the fireworks will start, as Inkling said when she admitted to liking Snape. Well, I don't particularly like Harry. bleh
inkling7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Harry Reply with quote

I must admit Harry sometimes annoyed the sh** out of me. But then so does my just turned 16yo hormonal granddaughter sometimes.....

Yes he did the dumbest and quite irrational things sometimes but I would have been disappointed if Voldie had won and survived and think how upset the younger readers of the w books would have felt.......
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Harry Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I must admit Harry sometimes annoyed the sh** out of me. But then so does my just turned 16yo hormonal granddaughter sometimes.....

I did say it "came with the territory" (of being a teenager.)

Quote:
Yes he did the dumbest and quite irrational things sometimes but I would have been disappointed if Voldie had won and survived and think how upset the younger readers of the w books would have felt.......

I never said Voldie should have won. I'd have been mighty pee'd off if he had. It was FrakkinShip who had that weird notion. Rolling Eyes

Plus, in the movies they'd have changed the ending if in the book the baddies had won. Like in the two adaptations of "The Talented Mr. Ripley", Patricia Highsmith's best-seller. In the book, Ripley literally gets away with fraud and murder, and lives to enjoy his ill-gotten gains, whereas in both movies he gets caught. Ditto in "Rebecca", whose death, which was deliberate murder, is made into an accident. If JKR had killed off Harry and let Voldie win, not only the fans would have rebelled en masse, all the fan fic writers would have rewritten the ending, as would have the movie makers. super grin
Montse

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

So, I just took this English level test and I really got nice feedback, turns out the only skill I really suck at in English is writing. No surprises there, ever since the Hogsmeade thing, I have been aware I lack abilityand skill in this area. Never had it been so clear as it is now. soooo I am allowing myself to practice my writing skills in topics which I love to discuss. Please, if you can correct my mistakes besides commenting on my posts I will appreciate it. So after all this explanation my thoughts on this topic:

Do I like him as a character? Let´s just put it this way, had I been at Hogwarts in those days , I would have fallen in love with the guy. Of course he gets on my nerves sometimes, but what character does not?All of them have their moments of brilliance and their moments of stupidity. So let´s focus, what do I like about Harry? Let´s see, just like Ginny, I like his tendency to save people,his need to make sure everybody is okay. I love his lack of selfishness in the moments that really count, even if he can be selfish on other occasions. I love how he dislikes complicated girls and complicated relationships . I myself cant stand them. I love how brave and how down to Earth he is. Always aware he has had help and how much it has meant to him, even if he has faced the worst part alone. He never denies he has had help from his friends. I enjoy how he can be so naive sometimes,specially with girl issues . How he is an ordinary guy with extraordinary qualities. How he can care so much about everyone , that he has to make sure evil is stopped. So I suppose, yes, I like him, pretty much. I would have kicked him in book five, but then again so could I have kicked Hermione who kept asking questions , that got answers that got on Harry´s nerves. I could have kicked Ron when he left in book seven and when he got jealous in book 4. Every character in the story has moments in which they have gotten on my nerves, but I think this is what makes them so real to me, why I love each and everyone of them so much. I love Harry Potter. Harry´s girl though and through.

P.S. (casts protego spell )I do like Snape also , I dont love him. But I understand him loads better after book 7. Do I still hate some of his reactions ?I do , but I understand how hard it was for him, so he has my simpathy.
inkling7

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Oooh Montse you have opened a can of worms here and now we can sit back and watch all the Snape haters come in ...LOL They are just as bad as the Snapefens IMO but I happen to agree with your post about all the characters actually so don't worry nobody is perfect and I suppose that is the way Jo wanted it in her books and I am glad you liked Ginny and Snape because nobody else on this forum seems to... super grin
Roar

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Du Khach wrote:

But he very often gets on my nerves something fierce. His temper tantrums in OotP, the way he shut himself up after Cedric's death and woudn't share his grief with Cho who was in need of support in the same matter, his refusal to listen to reason (meaning Hermione's very sound reasoning) after he has that "vision" of Sirius having been caught by Voldemort, his "saving-people" tendencies, his just forgetting that Sirius gave him the mirror and risking his and his friends' safety and lives, first sneaking into Umbridge's office, then tearing off to the Ministry, his tendency to act (or talk) before thinking... He was lovable as a kid, but as a teenager - I guess it comes with the territory - and then when he realizes he's the "Chosen One" - he's just unsufferable.

Actually, you've just described many of the irritating things about Harry that i find makes him a well-rounded character. I guess I tend to shake my head in despair or laugh my head off over most of that stuff-- I do both especially at the parts where he fires off his sarcasm without hitting the edit button first. Dang, Harry might need a prize for Most Sarcastic Character In Series. I really love the character of Harry Potter. He is actually my favorite character in the series, which is really convenient because I was guarenteed to get plenty of Harry Potter in every book!
Strawberry07

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Du Khach wrote:

But he very often gets on my nerves something fierce. His temper tantrums in OotP, the way he shut himself up after Cedric's death and woudn't share his grief with Cho who was in need of support in the same matter,

Harry did not shut himself off after Cedric's death - he was isolated with people who were of no support to a grieving and traumatised teenager. He couldn't be expected to open up and shut down on demand like a computer program.

I think he wasn't as supportive as he could have been with Cho - but then, they were both grieving in different ways, and being young, they were both unable to deal with the other person's way of grieving. Everyone grieves in different ways.

I think his tantrums in OotP are understandable, given what he went through at the end of GoF, what he was going through in OotP.

About the ending, Laughing I'm sure plenty of fanfic writers have written Voldemort winning, too. No matter how JKR had ended the series, someone would have been miffed.

Roar - I love Harry's sarcasm, too. Some of his remarks or internal observations are hilarious. Given how he uses sarcasm and wit, I think he developed it as an armour against the nastiness of the Dursleys. I think it's why he isn't cowed by the likes of Malfoy and Snape, why he isn't desperate for bullies and nasty people to like him instead.
Roar

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Strawberry07 wrote:

Given how he uses sarcasm and wit, I think he developed it as an armour against the nastiness of the Dursleys. I think it's why he isn't cowed by the likes of Malfoy and Snape, why he isn't desperate for bullies and nasty people to like him instead.

Definately agree with you there. From the beginning, when we first meet Harry at age ten, he's using his wit with words to put them down by countering their insults toward him-- often without them realizing it. His whole exchange with Petunia about his school clothes -- "Why do they need to be so wet?" Heh. Harry also liked to throw a retort at Dudley when Dudley was picking on him, and then run before Dudley had worked out that he had been insulted. So I'd say it was Harry's way of wresting a little bit of control of his life back using the only resource available to him.
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Montse wrote:
So, I just took this English level test and I really got nice feedback, turns out the only skill I really suck at in English is writing. No surprises there, ever since the Hogsmeade thing, I have been aware I lack abilityand skill in this area. Never had it been so clear as it is now. soooo I am allowing myself to practice my writing skills in topics which I love to discuss. Please, if you can correct my mistakes besides commenting on my posts I will appreciate it.

I don't think your English is bad at all. I only saw a few spelling mistakes that may have been typos.

Quote:
P.S. (casts protego spell )I do like Snape also , I dont love him. But I understand him loads better after book 7. Do I still hate some of his reactions ?I do , but I understand how hard it was for him, so he has my simpathy.

Good idea casting a Protego spell! Very Happy But whatever Inkling says, not everyone hates Snape and Ginny around here. There are no "Snape haters", only "Snaters" who happen to think that it's Harry who's the hero of the series, not Snape. Also that Snape is not the warm and fuzzy person the Snapefen make him to be. Confused IIRC, we actually even have a couple of Snape fans. Didn't FrakkinShip say that Snape was his favorite character in the series?

The fact that people find characters annoying/ likable/ hatable is a tribute to JKR's characterization. In OotP Harry is a typical teenager, teenagers tend to be annoying. I admit that he has reasons to be angry, and that he's too young and inexperienced to really understand Cho's needs in mourning Cedric, and her confusion - I agree with Strawberry07 here. Understanding it doesn't keep me from being annoyed at him, that's all. One can actually like a character and be annoyed at him/her, you know. Though I did say I didn't like Harry. Confused But, for that matter, Ron sometimes annoys me too. Ditto Dumbledore. And those two I like.

inkling7 wrote:

QED. super grin

I agree about Harry's wit and sarcasm. I also love the Twins' humor. Especially "running as fast as Snape being faced with a bottle of shampoo"shameless grin
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Du Khach wrote:

Anyone else feels this way?

And now, probably, the fireworks will start, as Inkling said when she admitted to liking Snape. Well, I don't particularly like Harry. bleh

uhh!

Is TenderHooligan your sockpuppet on CoS?

Surprised
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Du Khach
Herald

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Laurelluin wrote:

Surprised

Nope, that ain't me. My only username on CoS was Alien_Visitor. I was banned, reinstated, then banned again, and I haven't tried to get back in.

Why, what does TenderHooligan think of the matter? Question
Oerba Dia Vanille
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me, Harry's my favourite character. Basically, because no Harry, no story. But even the people you absolutely adore can get on your nerves sometimes- all of my friends get on my nerves at times, my family, everyone I know. Just because someone can be a really irritating person at times, and a bit grumpy, set in their ways, whatever, doesn't mean that you don't like them. I guess that's the reason I do like Harry so much. He's not a 100% completely likeable character- he has flaws and can act like an idiot with the best of them. At times I wanted to give him a slap and tell him to grow up. But I feel the same way with my boyfriend, doesn't mean I dislike him!
Laurelluin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Do you actually like Harry Potter as a character? Reply with quote

Du Khach wrote:
Laurelluin wrote:

Surprised

Nope, that ain't me. My only username on CoS was Alien_Visitor. I was banned, reinstated, then banned again, and I haven't tried to get back in.

Why, what does TenderHooligan think of the matter? Question

Mostly kidding, but it reminded me of last month's circular arguments on both the Harry and Ron threads in CoS's Legillimency Studies.

Tender Hooligan made one or two posts in each thread about how Harry is too flawless to identify with, basically, or if he does have any flaws they are so easily overcome, or so heavily balanced out by his gifts/talents/abilities/luck or whathaveyou, they don't really count.

Countered by endless whinging on Ron Weasley's behalf about how nobody likes him or notices him except to pick on him..

ShadowSonic quickly took up the arguments and rants, dismissing any possible argument that contradicted their point of view.

Because TH only posted once or twice, I wondered if TH was actually a sockpuppet. It's a typical SockPuppet maneuver, to have your sockpuppet introduce your theory and then take it up from there. Sometimes trading off, so it looks like at least one other intelligent person shares your take on a matter Confused Confused

I don't really think YOU have a sockpuppet on CoS, AL. It was mostly a snarky tongue-in-cheek post. I know sarcasm and snark don't always translate on the interwebs, I really should either use it less or find a universally accepted SARCASM!! Smiley. Some people use this
Confused for Sarcasm, or :-S but here the first is labeled "confused" and the second is unlisted.

No 'ffense intended, at any rate, good Alien!!
The Turning Tower
The three trials, The three Terrors
The Bard who plays the Night into Song
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: