AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Hufflepuff House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Hufflepuff House Reply with quote

I maintain that the name "Hufflepuff" alone makes one not take it seriously. It's just... puff! A mote of dust in the wind, something light and easily dismissed. Very Mad
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
The last witch or wizard standing will be from that House.
THESE are the values of Hufflepuff.
From Minisinoo's "Hufflepuff House"

Last edited by Proud Puff on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildflower

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Splitting threads all over the place Reply with quote

After Roar complained that her suggestion on a thread on Dumbledore fell under an inappropriate title, I changed the title and created the "SPEW" thread. But then I found myself left, in that thread, with this complaint by Proud Puff that should have gone under the "favouritism" thread.

Since I don't know how to merge it into the Favouritism discussion, I gave it a new thread of its own. If you want to discuss Hufflepuff, come here.

Some of Proud Puff and Romione's posts were about Hufflepuff. They and other members may want to restart the discussion on Hufflepuff, or join in the debate.
Proud Puff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Hufflepuff House Reply with quote

It blows the chronology of the discussion to heck and gone, but so be it.

I'm recopying here my post from the Favoritism thread:

On the other hand, JKR didn't favor Hufflepuff much. Apart from Cedric Diggory, Puffs are usually shown as pushovers, the quiet group in the background, the group people easily dismiss. Not the "strong" group that Minisinoo describes, that I quote in my signature.

When you see the number of members in CoS's Sorting Hat thread and other forums' who don't want to be in Hufflepuff, you can see most readers don't see it as an interesting or desirable house to be in. Those who don't want to be in Slytherin are following Harry's lead "Not Slytherin, not Slytherin" and very often see Slyths as the "evil" house, whose members are the most likely to turn to the Dark Arts. The name alone shows that JKR was dismissive, if not plain disdainful of Hufflepuff.

To which Romione replied:

Romione wrote:
I'd have to disagree with that. Jo did show that the general public opinion of Hufflepuff was dismissive - and disdainful in some cases - but I think she also showed that opinion was wrong. In the end, I think Minisinoo's description from your signature is exactly what Jo showed in the books. Ernie has the strength to admit that he was wrong and apologize to Harry in COS. He joins the DA along with Hannah and Susan and they demonstrate strength and loyalty there. Ernie was also there with Luna and Neville to save the trio from dementors in DH. Cedric embodies that description - and Dumbledore said on page that Cedric embodied what it truly meant to be a Hufflepuff. Harry learns that it didn't matter if other people dismissed them or were disdainful of them because Hufflepuffs were strong - they didn't worry about what other people thought of them. They did what needed to be done in spite of such attitudes. They were strong and dependable - like the earth they represent.

We can pursue the debate from there.

BTW, how many Puffs are there from AV in Pottermore? confused
The single best word to describe Hufflepuff is not loyal or patient or honest ... much less simple. It's STRONG. Like the earth. Hufflepuff may not always win ... but they refuse to lose. Beat them down ... they come back. As long as one Hufflepuff is still standing, they'll pull all the rest back to their feet. Attack one of them and you've made an enemy of all of them.
The last witch or wizard standing will be from that House.
THESE are the values of Hufflepuff.
From Minisinoo's "Hufflepuff House"
Lily_Chérie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hufflepuff House Reply with quote

Proud Puff wrote:
BTW, how many Puffs are there from AV in Pottermore? confused

I counted 5: Strawberry, Gapeach, GypsyGirl, Cho_Lover and Inkling7.

On CoS, I was suspended (at the time, Morgoth suspended "suspect" members without banning them outright) before they had Sorting, so I don't know whether I'd have ended up in Gryffindor or in Hufflepuff. I don't think I'd have made Ravenclaw, and I don't have any of the Slytherin traits.

I haven't tried registering on Pottermore. Maybe I'll do it one of these days just to see.

I like Puffs. They are cool. And yes, they are strong. The kind of quiet strength that endures. ten
Cedric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Hufflepuff House Reply with quote

Dumbledore's eulogy of Cedric was great. I have to quote it here. Embarassed super grin

Quote:
Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory…

Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort.

Remember Cedric Diggory.
~Albus Dumbledore

One of us on CoS had as a signature a picture of Dumbledore with part of that quote. I don't remember who it was. We also used it extensively during the 2004 electoral campaign. Are the videos we made at the time still around?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Cedric Diggory Reply with quote

Aah, the electoral campaign of 2004! I remember it fondly. We were four adults (Bill, Minisinoo, Gottriplets and me) and one kid (hpkid421) trying to meet the deadlines for all the tasks we had to do. Most other campaigns had at least a half-dozen staffers. And it was two Slytherins, Bboush and Vampiric Duck, who came to our rescue. Hah, two Slyths showing Puff qualities!

The videos should still be on YouTube, under FleurduJardin. I actually got a new comment on "The life and love of George Weasley" just a couple of days ago.

Yes, Cedric Diggory did embody Hufflepuff qualities. People tend to forget that the first time we see him in the books is not in GoF, as in the movies, but in PoA. It's the time when Harry fell from his broom because of the Dementors, and Cedric caught the Snitch and won the game for Hufflepuff. When he saw what had happened, he wanted a rematch. How many people that age (or any age) would have done that? Oliver Wood, had he won, certainly wouldn't have asked for a rematch. But even Oliver had to admit that Cedric had won fair and square, and tried to drown himself in the shower after the game.

Cedric really took "fair play" to a new level of "fair". He was also very brave, hard-working and extremely loyal. Hearts
Romione

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cedric Diggory Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:
Yes, Cedric Diggory did embody Hufflepuff qualities. People tend to forget that the first time we see him in the books is not in GoF, as in the movies, but in PoA. It's the time when Harry fell from his broom because of the Dementors, and Cedric caught the Snitch and won the game for Hufflepuff. When he saw what had happened, he wanted a rematch. How many people that age (or any age) would have done that? Oliver Wood, had he won, certainly wouldn't have asked for a rematch. But even Oliver had to admit that Cedric had won fair and square, and tried to drown himself in the shower after the game.

Cedric really took "fair play" to a new level of "fair". He was also very brave, hard-working and extremely loyal. Hearts

Yeah - I think Dumbledore was quite right in saying that Cedric exemplified all the qualities of Hufflepuff. I would also say we see those qualities in other Hufflepuffs as well. Ernie was a bit judgmental regarding Harry in COS, but when he realized how wrong he had been, he had the courage to admit that to Harry and apologize - which also showed a strong sense of fair play. And it was Susan Bones who interjected in that first DA meeting at the Hogshead - when others were questioning Harry in terms of being able to teach them - and asked him about what her aunt had said about his patronus. That turned the discussion away from criticizing Harry to acknowledging his successes and what he was capable of. I think that showed intelligence as well as a sense of loyalty and fair play. That meeting would likely have just gone downhill at that point if Susan hadn't done that.

I think Hufflepuff house was a good example of how, sometimes, perceptions can be wrong. A lot of people dismissed Hufflepuff and I think that was largely due to the fact that they didn't really stand out. They didn't typically draw attention to themselves or seek glory or fame. They did what needed to be done and seemed more humble about things. That's what Harry comes to realize through his association with Cedric in GOF. Being humble and not seeking attention may have resulted in Hufflepuffs being overlooked or dismissed, but it didn't make their actions any less important.
Lily_Chérie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cedric Diggory Reply with quote

Kerowyn wrote:

And the fact that he was played to perfection by Robert Pattinson didn't hurt either.

Seriously, Rob Patz did a good job. In a different way from Hermione, Cedric had this unconscious arrogance. The handsome, popular Quidditch captain and Prefect, the pureblood that Slytherins couldn't put down (or even tried to). He could very well have turned into an arrogant toe-rag himself but, being a Puff, he didn't. Still, that unconscious arrogance of the "aristocrat" sure of his place in the world was there, and it showed - in the casual way he took the adulation of the other students, took it for granted really, slightly looked down on Harry without being obvious about it, and the way he handled being made Hogwarts' "real" champion, chosen by the GoF, while it was "obvious" that Harry must have cheated.
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Hufflepuff on Pottermore Reply with quote

Be it as it may, Puffs are not doing well on Pottermore at all. They came in last in the House Cup contest. Where are the hard-working Puffs everyone says so much about? confused

Since CoS came in on Pottermore, Slytherin has been leading again, even among our group here. I confess that, a Puff myself in Pottermore, I only managed 42 points. In my defense, I haven't visited Pottermore much after I finished the first four chapters of CoS. Inkling has zero points. I haven't checked the other AV/Pottermore Puffs scores, but we have to do better, guys and gals!

Oops, maybe I should have posted this in the Pottermore thread. Ah, never mind, there is no "sensitive" information in this messsage. super grin
Roar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Hufflepuff on Pottermore Reply with quote

I wonder if Pottermore would be different if it was more Hufflepuff-centric? Right now Potions-- the Slytherin head of House class- is the only class we can earn points in. What if they had started with Herbology class instead?

Of course, Herbology makes a good class to introduce in CoS, where the mandrakes come into play. I'm really hoping that they intend to have the other Heads of House classes on Pottermore, starting with Professor Sprout's.
Cho_Lover
Herald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hufflepuff on Pottermore Reply with quote

Roar wrote:
I wonder if Pottermore would be different if it was more Hufflepuff-centric? Right now Potions-- the Slytherin head of House class- is the only class we can earn points in. What if they had started with Herbology class instead?

Of course, Herbology makes a good class to introduce in CoS, where the mandrakes come into play. I'm really hoping that they intend to have the other Heads of House classes on Pottermore, starting with Professor Sprout's.

Good point, Roar.

Hufflepuff is bound to take on more space on Pottermore, at least I hope so. What with Neville excelling at Herbology, and yes the mandrakes are a great topic to focus on.

Hopefully we won't have to wait until Cedric Diggory appears on the scene to have the focus shift more onto Hufflepuff.

Meanwhile, next time I get a half-hour or so free, I'll head back in to Pottermore to try and get more points. vroom
Kerowyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hufflepuff House Reply with quote

Proud Puff wrote:
I maintain that the name "Hufflepuff" alone makes one not take it seriously. It's just... puff! A mote of dust in the wind, something light and easily dismissed. Very Mad

Ah, but don't forget what Minisinoo wrote in her essay on Hufflepuff House:

Quote:
In a battle, Ravenclaw will map out the strategy, Gryffindor will lead the charge, Slytherin will find ways to trick the enemy, but Hufflepuff is the backbone of the army. They will fight like badgers, they will not give up, they will not let go. The last standing witch or wizard will be a Hufflepuff.

inkling7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Pottermore Hufflepuffs Reply with quote

I regret to say I have left the Hufflepuff House down as I haven't been into Pottermore for months... sorry Puff's I am not a hardworking person and very lazy really so prolly shouldn't have been allowed to go to Hogworts at all.... Embarassed
The Shuttle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Hufflepuffs Reply with quote

inkling7 wrote:
I regret to say I have left the Hufflepuff House down as I haven't been into Pottermore for months... sorry Puff's I am not a hardworking person and very lazy really so prolly shouldn't have been allowed to go to Hogwarts at all.... Embarassed

So... Since you won't have participated in any battle, it's obvious that YOU are going to be the one witch left standing after all is over. bleh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » L'Avenue Harry Potter All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: