AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
Story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Story Reply with quote

Lauren walked into my life unexpectedly and disappeared abrubtly. When she left, it was as if our affaire never happened, as if we were nothing.

I was a workaholic. I worked around the clock priming my startup for acquisition. It took years of sweat and tears but the hard work paid off handsomely. I knew I would make a lot of money selling the business but didn't expect to lose the woman I thought I would marry. Veronica left and did so with few kind words.

When escrow closed, I was free of any obligation, including those associated with serious relationships with women. Don’t get me wrong. I cared for Veronica very much and I was still struggling with our separation. But there was no reason left for me to stay. It was too sad. I had to go.
Wildflower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Interesting story Reply with quote

Is that a short-short or is there more to come?

Between Mr. Watch (see his "Wrong" in the Writers' Forum) and you, Fire, I see we can look forward to more sad love stories....

BTW, I'm moving this to the Writers' Forum where it belongs. super grin
Fire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Story (continued) Reply with quote

In the three years that followed, I accepted a position at a global consulting firm to keep myself busy and to keep away from home. I got so good at what I did, I made partner by the end of my first year at the firm. Not too shabby.

I am curious, hardworking and persistent and I've been that way since I was a child. I succeed in every sphere but one. At 43 I was content living the life of a confirmed bachelor and took pity on my married peers.
Fire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Story (continued) Reply with quote

While I was on assignment in Singapore, I got a call from an old buddy from back home. "What the hell is wrong with you man? It's been two years since you left and nobody has heard from you. I had to blackmail your sister into giving me this phone number."

I let Steve rant and then there was silence. He started up again but reluctantly, "I ran into Veronica last week. She asked how you were. She's married now to some architect. They're expecting this April. I thought you should know." I couldn't breathe. The room spun.

I don't remember the rest of that day. I can't remember if I said anymore to Steve before we hung up. The next few days were just as blurry. I woke up each morning not knowing how I got home from the night before. Judging from the items left behind, I must have had company. Truth be told, I wasn't proud of it.
Fire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Story (cont...) Reply with quote

The weeks passed without me. Somehow I managed to complete my assignment and found myself roaming around Europe.

While in Paris when I got an email from Lauren. Odd. “Yes Lauren, I remember you. How are things going? Where do you work now? Yeah, sure I would be happy to show you around,” I replied. Lauren was a girl I met four years before, at the community center where she and Liz, my younger sister volunteered as tutors. They were new graduates and eager for career advice. The three of us had lunch together that day and I never saw her again. Apparently, Liz had volunteered me to be a guide for her friend.
Fire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Story (cont...) Reply with quote

Five weeks later, Lauren arrived in Paris; I had just returned from Prague. I barely had time for a quick shower before dashing off to meet her at her hotel. I recognized her immediately as she stepped out of the main lobby elevators. She looked as she did four years before, except for the shorter hair that now hung to her shoulders.

"Hi Lauren, it's been awhile! How was your flight? Have you eaten? Let's grab some dinner. I know a great seafood place." Funny. I had already darted out of the hotel and started to cross the street when I realized that Lauren was nearly ten steps behind me. "Oh I'm sorry. It's a bad habbit. I'm working on it," I said as I took her hand and lead her across the street. I was baffled. What in the world possessed me to do that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Writers' Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: