AVENUE VIET Forum Index AVENUE VIET
An Online Community

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those of the webmasters, administrators and moderators of this forum. Refer to the complete disclaimer.
A couple of wise sayings to ponder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostInTranslation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: A couple of wise sayings to ponder Reply with quote

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, variation of an excerpt from "The Serenity Prayer" by Reinhold Neibuhr

You've got a lot of choices. If getting out of bed in the morning is a chore and you're not smiling on a regular basis, try another choice. ~Steven D. Woodhull
LostInTranslation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Some Sayings about Love Reply with quote

There is only one kind of love, but there are thousands of different copies. - French Proverb

Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile. - Franklin P. Jones

Love is like water; we can fall in it, we can drown in it and we can't live without it. - Unknown

When a man of forty falls in love with a girl of twenty, it isn't her youth he is seeking but his own. - Lenore Coffee

The greatest weakness of most humans is their hesitancy to tell others how much they love them while they're still alive. - Orlando A. Battista

If you have it [love], you don't need to have anything else, and if you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have. - Sir James M. Barrie

When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life. - Greg Anderson

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet. - Plato

It is probably not love that makes the world go around, but rather those mutually supportive alliances through which partners recognize their dependence on each other for the achievement of shared and private goals. - Fred Allen
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reverse situation Reply with quote

Quote:
When a man of forty falls in love with a girl of twenty, it isn't her youth he is seeking but his own. - Lenore Coffee

What is then when a woman of forty falls in love with a man of twenty? Finding someone who has the youth (read virility) that the men of forty have lost? super grin
Vroom Vroom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: About Excess Reply with quote

I like this one:

Excess on occasion is exhilirating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit. ~W. Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up, 1938
inkling7
Admin Pro Tem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Another oldie Reply with quote

Different slant on another oldie.....

To err is human but it FEELS divine...... super grin
Vroom Vroom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Proverbs from around the world Reply with quote

I particularly like this one:
Yugoslav Proverb
A good rest is half the work.

But these are good too:
# Advice is least heeded when most needed.
English Proverb

# After dark all cats are leopards.
Native American Proverb (Zuni)

# After lunch; rest; after dinner walk a mile.
Arab Proverb

# After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

# The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.
Swedish Proverb

# After three days without reading, talk becomes flavorless.
Chinese proverb

# After victory, tighten your helmet chord.
Japanese Proverb

# All roads lead to Rome.
Roman Proverb

# All roads do not lead to Rome.
Slovenian Proverb

# All sins cast long shadows.
Irish Proverb

# All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

# All sunshine makes the desert.
Arab Proverb

# An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
Arab Proverb

Last edited by Vroom Vroom on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vroom Vroom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Wise sayings by Carl W. Buechner Reply with quote

Carl W. Buechner
They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Carl W. Buechner
A man is too apt to forget that in this world he cannot have everything. A choice is all that is left to him.

Carl W. Buechner
Better bend than break.

Carl W. Buechner
Never swap horses while crossing a stream.Why not upset the apple cart? If you don't, the apples will rot anyway.

Carl W. Buechner
There is never time to do it right, but there is always time to do it over.

Carl W. Buechner
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.

Carl W. Buechner
Fail to plan, plan to fail.
LostInTranslation

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Some sayings about self-growth Reply with quote

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. ~Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ, c.1420

Give thanks for what you are now, and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow. ~Fernanda Miramontes-Landeros

You will turn over many a futile new leaf till you learn we must all write on scratched-out pages. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. ~Frank Herbert, Dune Chronicles

The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile. ~Plato
LostInTranslation

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Words to live by Reply with quote

"Before you criticize people, you should walk a mile in their shoes, because then you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes!"

Does it say something about my personality that I find this fall-on-the-floor funny? Naaah....
Bérénice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Words to live by Reply with quote

LostInTranslation wrote:
"Before you criticize people, you should walk a mile in their shoes, because then you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes!"

Does it say something about my personality that I find this fall-on-the-floor funny? Naaah....

Well, it says that you are practical!!! And maybe that you need shoes? bleh
Sans que jamais Titus puisse voir Bérénice?

In a month, in a year, how will we steel our hearts
My lord, to being from each other oceans apart?
And that day after day dawns and then dies
Without our ever being able to see each other's eyes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AVENUE VIET Forum Index » Food for Thought All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: